Systems Engineer IV
- Over a month ago
Location: Pasadena, CA 91109
Eligible for telework? Yes, 2 days a week
Duration: About 1 year, with strong possibility of extension.
Work schedule: Flexible - 1st shift
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control.
As a Systems Engineer for the Avionics Subsystem Engineering Group (348A), you will be working for JPL's Flight Software and Avionics Systems Section, which provides leadership and unique world-class expertise in Avionics Systems Engineering, Spacecraft Flight Software development, Avionics Integration, Test, and Operations and Advanced Processor and Software Research.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things…do you?
The Avionics Systems Engineer for the Avionics Subsystem of the Sample Return Lander and reports programmatically to the Europa Clipper Avionics Product Deliver Manager. The Systems Engineer is responsible for leading, planning and executing system engineering activities for a subsystem which includes hardware, software, simulation and support equipment, and integration and test. These activities include development and maintenance of the subsystem architecture, requirements, and interfaces. The Avionics Systems Engineer will define, coordinate, balance and integrate technical and programmatic issues in a holistic manner to ensure that the hardware and software system satisfies requirements, expectations, and constraints within the allocated resources and with acceptable risk. This includes management of technical resources (mass, power, etc.); analysis and modeling of the design; leading the verification and validation of the subsystem; contributing to risk management and controlling the subsystem change process.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop subsystem requirements and operations concepts, functional architectures, documentation and interface definition to external elements
- Coordinate technical issues between subsystem elements (hardware, software, and simulation and support equipment)
- Ensure that the design meets functional and performance requirements and complies with institutional standards including JPL flight practices, reliability requirements, project requirements, and approved waivers.
- Lead Working Groups or Design Teams as needed to conduct trades or resolve technical issues
- Lead the development, preparation and execution of verification and validation plans of significant impact to the project
- Provide technical input to the Avionics Product Delivery Manager for all project milestone reviews and management reviews.
- Provide inputs to the Avionics Product Delivery Manager for planning/budgeting efforts including cost estimation and scheduling.
- Oversee anomaly tracking, disposition and corrective action for the subsystem.
- Perform testing, document anomalies and success and communicate with the test lead.
- Present complex avionics concepts to various levels of line management, project management and other technical personnel
Responsibilities in support of the line:
- Lead system architecture and risk management analyses
- Perform complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across multiple disciplines
- Work independently on key projects and assignments with only limited direction
- Provide team leadership by being accountable for team results on projects and assignments, including performance standards, budget and schedule
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 16 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 14 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 12 years related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Systems Engineering, Digital Electronics, Software, Reliability Engineering, and/or Integration and Test
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques of Systems Engineering
- Experience with integrated hardware/software developments.
- Experience with hardware/software configuration management.
- Knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of systems applications.
- Extensive planning skills for generating task plans, issuing work authorization packages, coordinating budgets, monitoring schedule, reviewing requirements and reporting to a project sponsor.
- Experience leading subsystem level hardware / software integration, verification and validation.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills and ability to conduct project level reviews and status reports.
About our client:
Our client is a research and development lab federally funded by NASA and managed by Caltech. Manages many of NASA's robotic missions exploring Earth, the solar system, and our universe.
This client is requiring that all new hires show proof of vaccination. However, accommodations may be made for those with medical or religious reasons and are unable to obtain a vaccine.
About Space Systems:
Space Systems provides solutions and opportunities to employ a contingent workforce of technical professionals across diverse disciplines.
Benefits: We offer paid time off, holidays, 401k, medical, dental, and vision, and more!
- At a minimum, a 7-year background check, education verification, employment verification, and drug screen will be conducted upon hire. Your suitability for employment is contingent upon successfully passing these required pre-employment screenings.
EEO- including disability/vets
Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity! If you feel your experience is the match for this position, please apply today and join our team. We look forward to working with you!
SPACE SYSTEMS LLC
TravelView all jobs at SPACE SYSTEMS LLC
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?