The Purchasing Specialist position is responsible for sourcing, estimating and purchasing from our vendor base. In addition, this position will also be responsible for negotiating pricing and contracts with these vendors to assure we are also the most competitive in pricing and delivery time.
Who we are
At SMS group, our people are our greatest asset. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes a culture of innovation, growth, and inclusion. We offer company events, activities, and opportunities to participate in charitable initiatives that benefit the communities where we are located.
What you'll do
- Review requirements coming from customer service, project management, purchasing to ensure the adequate sourcing support for upcoming projects and place purchase orders on a timely manner
- Request and evaluate quotes to vendors to determine best options for sourcing
- Look for cost saving opportunities within purchasing responsibility
- Review and understand the customer requirements (CAD drawings) to provide the best sourcing option in terms of quality, price and delivery possible
- Monitor and work with vendors to improve their on-time delivery performance
- Resolve any warranty claims with our vendors
- Execution of sourcing activities in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Facilitating the resolution of quality issues with vendors as they arise
- Read, understand and interpret engineering drawings and technical specifications
- Work with our internal engineering groups to answer any related drawing questions from our vendors
- Work closely with Technical Sales Support, Quality Department, sales, project managers, engineering and other departments
- Conduct vendor site visits from the commercial side as needed
What you'll need
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in business management or supply chain is preferred
- 1-3 years of related experience may be substituted or a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work both independently and within a group
- You are a “hands-on” person with an imaginative and resourceful approach to problem solving
- Understanding and interpreting engineering drawings and technical specifications is preferred but not required
- Understanding of quality department functions preferred
- Result oriented with excellent analytical and organization skills
- Clear communication skills within all levels of a company
- Understanding of supply chain processes and solid problem solving ability
- SAP/ERP system proficiency a plus
What we offer
Competitive compensation, medical/dental/vision coverage, paid vacation, paid holiday time, 401k with a company match, training, a tuition reimbursement program and more!
What we do
SMS group is the leading partner in the world of metals. We are an original equipment supplier offering comprehensive maintenance and spare part services for metals production, continuous casting and rolling (flat and long products), tubes, welded pipes, forging, non-ferrous technology, and heat treatment plants - all from a single source.
SMS group Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, gender identity or other categories protected by law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and physical capacity profile test.
SMS group IncOil City, PA
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.