- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Buyer position is responsible for sourcing, estimating and purchasing from our vendor base. In addition this position will also be responsible for negotiating pricing and contracts with these vendors to assure we are also the most competitive in pricing and delivery time.
Who we are
At SMS group, our people are our greatest asset. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes a culture of innovation, growth, and inclusion. We offer company events, activities, and opportunities to participate in charitable initiatives that benefit the communities where we are located.
What you'll do
- Review the requirements received from customer service, project management, and purchasing to ensure the adequate sourcing support for upcoming projects and place purchase orders in a timely manner.
- Request and evaluate quotes from vendors to determine the best options for sourcing.
- Look for cost saving opportunities within the purchasing responsibility.
- Review and understand the customer requirements (CAD drawings) to provide the best sourcing option in terms of quality, price and delivery possible.
- Monitor and work with vendors to improve their on-time delivery performance.
- Resolve any warranty claims with our vendors.
- Execution of sourcing activities in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Facilitating the resolution of quality issues with vendors as they arise.
- Read, understand and interpret engineering drawings and technical specifications.
- Work with our internal engineering groups to answer any related drawing questions from our vendors.
- Work closely with Technical Sales Support, Quality Department, sales, project managers, engineering and other departments.
- Conduct vendor site visits from the commercial side as needed.
What you’ll need
- Bachelor's degree in purchasing, supply chain management, or business administration.
- One year of related experience (preferably in the metals industry) is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work both independently and within a group.
- You are a "hands-on" person with an imaginative and resourceful approach to problem solving.
- Understanding and interpreting engineering drawings and technical specifications a plus.
- Proven track record working and negotiating with various vendors.
- Understanding of quality department functions.
- Result oriented with excellent analytical and organization skills.
- Clear communication skills within all levels of a company.
- Understanding of supply chain processes and solid problem solving ability.
- Proficiency of standard MS Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word, Power Point etc.).
- SAP/ERP system proficiency a plus.
What we offer
Competitive compensation, medical/dental/vision coverage, paid vacation, paid holiday time, 401k with a company match, training, a tuition reimbursement program and more!
What we do
SMS group is the leading partner in the world of metals. We are an original equipment supplier offering comprehensive maintenance and spare part services for metals production, continuous casting and rolling (flat and long products), tubes, welded pipes, forging, non-ferrous technology, and heat treatment plants - all from a single source.
SMS group Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, gender identity or other categories protected by law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and physical capacity profile test.
SMS group Inc
BusinessView all jobs at SMS group Inc