IT Summer Intern
- Expired: March 10, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
SMMA is seeking a motivated IT Intern to join our Technology team for Summer 2023. We are a multi-disciplinary design firm based in Cambridge, MA and Providence, RI, comprised of a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes professional and creative growth. As IT Intern, you will be encouraged to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance the firm’s mission and your professional career.
The IT Intern will work directly with the IT team to provide world-class customer service and technical support to a staff of approximately 220 (in-office and working remotely)—mostly Architects, Engineers, Interior Designers, and Site Designers. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience working in an industry-standard Cloud environment (hosted desktops and Microsoft 365 apps). Special projects may be assigned.
Our IT Department is state-of-the-art:
- Cloud-hosted environment—Windows-hosted desktops and Microsoft 365
- Lenovo laptops (ThinkPads) and desktops (Thinkstations) running Windows 10 and 11.
- Our main applications are Revit 2019, 2020, and 2021, AutoCAD 2020, Adobe CS Cloud suite, and the Microsoft 365 family of products.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Acting as the “first responder” to provide world-class customer service to all stakeholders at SMMA
- Utilizing channel mix (self-help KB, Teams, email, and phone) to solve and respond to incident and service desk requests from staff
- Updating ticket status through the IronOrbit portal as needed
- Building successful relationships with all staff and IT support teams (internal and cloud desktop IronOrbit)
- Updating the OneNote knowledgebase (“TechTips”) for staff to help solve problems and technical issues
- Talking staff and clients through a series of actions, either in person or over the telephone
- Following SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) to set up new users. Also, installing and configuring computer hardware, operating systems, and applications
- Troubleshooting system and network problems, and diagnosing and solving hardware/software faults and failures
- Following diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system
- Working continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate)
- Assisting with testing, evaluating, and rolling out new technology
- Student in college currently working towards Associate or Bachelor’s degree in IT or a related field
- Self-motivation, teamwork, strong communication skills, a “can-do” attitude, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Comfortable working in-office Monday through Thursday (8:00 am – 5:00 pm) with the option to work remotely on Friday
About the Firm
SMMA is one of New England’s most unique design firms due to our composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since our incorporation in 1955, we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary environment driven by collaboration between architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We focus on building lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
As an employee-owned firm, we believe that good ideas are welcome from anywhere. Our work straddles seven markets—Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Advanced Technology—with the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects and specialisms. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
SMMA was founded by MIT and Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, we remain dedicated to this flexible, integrated approach. We are guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence, sustainability, and social responsibility.
- Employee-owned firm
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
Powered by JazzHR
TechnologyView all jobs at SMMA
Get fresh 2023 Tech jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.