POSITION TITLE: Global Applications Engineering Manager (AEM)
POSITION LOCATION: Sharon, MA
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director, Global Engineering
DIRECT REPORTS: 5
DOTTED LINE REPORTS: None
Plan, lead, manage, and oversee the power conversion global field application organization, supporting the needs of customers in demanding applications; Medical, Industrial and LED segments. The Global Applications Engineering Manager (AEM) is expected to be a seasoned leader that manages a global team of customer-facing Field Applications Engineers (FAE), and must embraces the concepts of:
1- “Customer Intimacy”,
2- Quality when dealing with customers,
3- Rigor in solving AC/DC technical problems with customers,
4- Speed in execution,
The global field application engineering organization is responsible for:
1- Supporting the products technical applications across the entire portfolio,
2- Providing design expertise & recommendations during various phases of the NPI stage gate process,
3- Developing & reaching consensus with the customer(s) on their product specifications,
4- Delivering product training to customer & partners,
5- Executing product benchmarks in collaboration with the Customer Experience Center (CEC)
6- Developing technical support documentation (Application Notes and White Papers) to demonstrate thought leadership,
7- Delivering technical papers at trade shows & industry symposiums,
8- Coordinating across the entire value chain (sales, distributors, vendors, engineering, manufacturing, etc.) to insure the customer expectations is met to maintain or win new business.
The AEM will be responsible for all aspects of the FAE performance, including planning, recruiting, development, mentoring, flawless execution, and most importantly; continuous improvement to exceed the annual operating plans for the team.
• Manages the FAE’s in the planning, development and maintenance of technical implementations & support for customers. This may require frequent travel (up to 35%) within the USA, Europe and Asia.
• Interfaces with the engineering team to drive product development that meets or exceeds customer specifications.
• Work with customers and customer requirements to propose technical solutions, recommendations and technical project plans.
• Ensures technical issues and support requirements are driven to resolution and identified technical issues and risks are mitigated.
• Works closely with sales and marketing to drive overall customer satisfaction.
• Leads complex troubleshooting of technical issues identified by project teams or customers.
• Ensures technical issues are broadly evaluated across the product portfolio and prioritized for resolution.
• Escalates technical issues to Sales, Engineering and Product Management when required.
• Drives the creation of application notes, white papers and other technical collateral to promote thought leadership within the industry.
• Works closely with sales staff, project managers, and design engineers to monitor project progress proactively and respond to technical issues.
• Promotes use of tools, process, and documentation to drive team efficiencies and flawless execution.
• Ensures customer requirements are met and consistent delivery of best in class service to our customer base.
• Performs other duties or responsibilities as assigned or required.
• Represents Company in a positive, professional manner when working with both internal and external customers.
· Requires a Master’s Degree in Electronics/Electrical Engineering (power conversion focus is desired), and 10+ years of combined experience in product design, technical sales and application engineering with 5+ years of experience in a management role.
· Product design & development experience is preferred.
· Experience with Medical, Industrial and LED segments is highly desirable.
· Experience managing complex technical projects, while interfacing directly with customers.
· Strong knowledge of EMI/EMC mitigation techniques and thermal management required at both product and system level.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills (specifications, technical writing, application notes and white papers).
· Utilizes metrics, Kaizens, RCCA and other methods to continuously review and improve existing processes.
· Demonstrated effectiveness collaborating with a wide variety of internal and external customers.
· Demonstrated success managing multiple projects/priorities.