Boiler Operator, Stationary Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Boiler Plant Operator
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Due to the medical setting of this position, the candidates must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire.
- SJS Executives, LLC (SJS), also doing business as SJS Industrial, is seeking a reliable, safety conscious, journeyman-level Boiler Operator/Stationary Engineer to work full time for SJS in Phoenix, AZ to help support the operations at a Veteran's Affairs Hospital.
- SJS is a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) with 250 employees coast to coast and a headquarters in Virginia Beach, Virginia; it specializes in professional services to support federal and military organizations.
- The ideal candidate for this position understands the Navy Safety and Health Requirement manual, related agency equipment regulations and directives and Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command (NAVFAC) publications, manuals, directives, standards, policies, and procedures pertaining to Boiler Plant operations.
- Operates and services steam boiler plants as required. Lights off and shuts down boilers.
- Analyzes operating conditions as shown by indicating and recording meters and gauges, reflecting load changes, steam temperature and pressure, flow of fuel, steam and air, flue gas conditions and other controls.
- Adjusts equipment as necessary for efficient operation, including such equipment as alarm de vices, semi-automatic combustion controls, feedwater de-aerators and heaters, fuel heaters, internal chemical injection equipment, automatic stop valves, forced and induced draft fans, fuel and steam pressure control and relief valves, feedwater regulators and pumps.
- Checks plant efficiency, using fuel specifications, steam tables, and other guides. Maintains operational log and computes data for boiler room log sheet.
- Inspects safety valves and automatic safety devices for flame extinction, automatic re-ignition, low water cut-out and high-pressure cut-out.
- Conducts internal, external, and hydrostatic tests of boilers; inspects for leaks, corrosion, and pitting.
- Locates source of trouble when visual inspection or meters and other controls indicate malfunctioning equipment or dangerous conditions.
- Switches to manual controls if semi-automatic controls fail.
- Follows standard emergency procedure until trouble can be corrected.
- Removes boiler or auxiliary from the line if malfunctions cannot be corrected during operation.
- Analyzes feedwater in make-up tank and boiler water, using standard chemical tests. Operators feedwater conditioning and treatment equipment to remove impurities, control chemical concentration in boiler and remove entrapped gases.
- Performs operational maintenance on boiler plant equipment.
- Performs minor repairs and overhaul during shutdown periods.
- Checks electric generator for voltage output and fuel and checks air compressor for oil, air pressure and fuel.
- Performs all necessary duties to assure complete assistance to ship with water, air, electric and steam.
- Performs various miscellaneous pipefitter type duties on building heating systems or saltwater fire mains on piers and trestles. Assists in hydrostatic testing of boilers and tanks to meet Navy standards for pressure vessels and locate and repair underground leaks in water distribution lines and repair freshwater wells and associated pumps, tanks, and controls.
- Installs, repairs and services all devices connected in, or in support of systems noted above such as condensate and vacuum pumps, relief, safety, motorized check and regulator valves, connectors, and other related components.
- Document actual hours worked into an electronic timecard at the end of every workday; submit completed timecards electronically bi-weekly
- Participate diplomatically in meetings with the SJS management team, Navy workload managers or contracting officers, and representatives of other companies
- Other related tasks as assigned by the SJS Director of West Coast Operations or his designee, which may be a government workload manager.
- Must have or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
- Valid State Driver's License
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, sketches, specifications, and job order instruction.
- Know the principles of a steam and hydronic heating system, understand basics and operations of hydraulic and air systems.
- Ability to sketch pipe systems showing location, pitch, and other required information; understand purpose and operation of regulators, valves or other controlling devices generally used in the trade and familiar with installation and repair of all associated water.
- Ability to perform regular and recurring field inspections, investigations, or surveys in which there is a considerable amount of physical activity including walking, stooping, bending, and climbing.
- Work at heights, in confined spaces, and possibly in awkward positions for extended periods
- Must be able to successfully pass a drug test and a thorough background check for access onto a military installation; please note the background check for this position extends past 7 years, in conformance with federal law and US Department of Justice guidelines for work on a military installation.
SJS Executives, LLC (SJS), also doing business as SJS Industrial, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy status and/or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
SJS also supplies the federal and defense sectors with labor support and staff augmentation on the basis of a non-personal service, with contracts as short as 120 days and as long as 5 years.
Our 200+ employees work in military bases, shipyards, and federal buildings coast-to-coast including California, where the company maintains a satellite office in San Marcos.
An engineer consulting firm located in Virginia Beach, VA specializing in military-industrial support services like Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Construction Management, Skilled Trades, and Program Management. SJS also supplies the federal and defense sectors with labor support and staff augmentation on the basis of a non-personal service, with contracts as short as 120 days and as long as 5 years. Our 200+ employees work in military bases, shipyards, and federal buildings coast-to-coast including California, where the company maintains a satellite office in San Marcos. https://sjsexecutives.com/
Energy and EnvironmentView all jobs at SJS Executives