High Voltage Electrician
- Posted: over a month ago
High Voltage Electrician
SJ Technologies is looking for an experienced High Voltage Electrician that performs tasks under general supervision such as, installs and maintains cam-lock equipment and shore power cables, connects/disconnects ships, troubleshoots pump, fan, and control problems; basic troubleshooting of circuit breakers and control circuits; uses electrical indicating and recording instruments; and assists in operation and maintenance of electrical equipment up to 4160 volts.
It's an exciting time at SJ Technologies. We are growing rapidly - and we were voted one of Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces for 2021. Enjoy a generous benefits package that includes an employee retirement plan with employer match, 11 paid holidays, PTO, dental, vision, life insurance and more.
· Install and maintain cam-lock equipment and shore power cables
· Performs routine installation, maintenance, and repairs on electric power control equipment distribution lines, or electric-generating equipment such as cam-lock and lug nut connections to shore power cables and plugs making certain of proper phasing
· Assembles shipboard and shore power plugs
· Continuously monitors and tracks collateral equipment under their cognizance
· Connects and disconnects AC and DC shore power to submarines and capital ships according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
· Determines the correct phase sequence, voltage, and amperage required and connects ships accordingly
· Fills out required forms for tracking of connect/disconnect including meter readings
· Connects and disconnects shipyard equipment, contractor equipment, and other electrical equipment as required using proper lock out/tag out
· Moves all types of shore power cable from pier-to-pier utilizing line truck and buggy or reel truck
· Maintains efficient operation of various parts of the electrical distribution system
· Analyzes operation of transformers, rectifiers, power control devices and related equipment by means of various instruments, such as: ammeters, voltmeters, meggers, and graphic recorders
· Records readings and observations, and compares them with known standards
· Makes appropriate adjustments and reports abnormal conditions
· From results of such system analysis, or in anticipation of load changes, connects and disconnects parallels or effects substitution for electrical units and conductors, coordinating operations and making changes in such manner and sequence as to avoid danger, damage, and unnecessary interruptions in service
· Makes emergency cut-outs and substitutions in the event of breakdown or necessity for extensive repairs
· Frequently works on electrical systems when they are “hot” using necessary equipment, acceptable methods, and safety precautions. Installs, maintains, and repairs various electrical controls, etc. these systems include diodes, transistors, resistors, switches, relays, low voltage breakers, and supervisory control systems
· Performs other tasks as assigned.
· Ability to work from oral instructions and work orders
· Must have the ability to learn operation, lubrication and safety procedures applicable to transformers, rectifiers, and air and oil circuit breakers, motors, and associated control equipment used for generation and distribution of electricity
· Knowledge may be gained from correspondence courses and on the job training
· Must know theory and principals of alternate and direct current circuits
· Must know safety rules and emergency action to be taken in the event of injury/emergency
· Must be able to use simple algebraic formulas to compute amperage and resistance factors
· Must be able to use ampmeters, voltmeters, meggers, and graphic recorders
· Must be able to read and understand basic circuit schematics, drawings, wiring drawings, maintenance manuals, and verbal and written instructions
· Required to operate government vehicles and possess necessary vehicle operator’s permit.
Education and Experience:
· Has a journeyman level knowledge of commercial, industrial and residential electrical construction and how a variety of electrical systems, circuits, controls and equipment are installed, operate and function
· 5 years or more of related experience required
· Valid state motor vehicle operator’s license
· Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to adjust, control, and maintain equipment
· Requires auditory acuity to detect noises indicative of defective functioning equipment
· Requires color discrimination to distinguish color coded electric circuits
· Required to lift and carry heavy weights of 40 pounds and over with assistance when lifting and carrying material
· Work requires kneeling, stooping, standing, and crouching
· Close attention to the eyes when observing indicating meters
· Uses both arms and legs when climbing ladders
· Work pace is rapid for 8 hours and many times longer
· Heavy exertion is required constantly.
SJ Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
SJ Technologies Inc
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?