Crop Science Technologist I - Research Laboratory
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
- Crop Science Technologist , I will carry out various routine and non-routine testing and analysis, in our Research Laboratory following written work instructions under the direction of the Supervisor of a specific department.
- Uses an applied approach in performing moderate/complex technological functions within laboratory operations including method validation
- Conducts applied standard and experimental testing under the direction of the Technical team
- Works from, detailed specifications and verbal instructions
- Interprets and evaluates results
- Calibration and set up of equipment prior to analysis
- Maintain and record equipment calibrations
- May troubleshoot and repair equipment or components under the guidance of senior team members
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of LIMS
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of QMS & may be required to investigate corrective actions
- Carries out routine and non-routine equipment maintenance
- Strong technical knowledge of instrumentation and analytical techniques
- Will approve data without the direction of supervisor
- Initiative and independent judgment are required in applying standard procedures
- Maintains a clean working environment
- Provide guidance and training to more junior laboratory personnel
- Follows all company health, safety, and environmental policies
- Follows all Quality system protocols and reports any discrepancies to the Supervisor
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Environmental laboratory services department when needed
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed
Education and Experience
- Associate's degree in an Agricultural or science-related program (Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Plant Science, or related field) (Required)
- 0-3 years of experience in agricultural work, physical purity, germination testing (Required)
- Bachelor's degree preferred (Preferred)
- Experience in a laboratory setting (Preferred)
Licenses and Certifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Prioritize workload for themselves as well as more Junior staff
- Able to assess QC failures and decide on a course of action
- Interpretation of complex issues that do not adhere to regular solutions
- Able to troubleshoot and repair minor instrument failures
- Work requires analyzing, troubleshooting, and adaptation of existing procedures to achieve the desired results under the guidance of a senior team member
- An intermediate level of creativity is required in solving routine problems
- Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job
- Must be able to mentally manage numbers and perform basic math skills quickly
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices, ex. Health & Safety, working with acids and other harmful reagents
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner
- Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) workloads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition
- Ability to work well with others & independently
- Proven time management skills and strong attention to detail
- Proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel, etc.)
Physical Demands of the Job
- Move or traverse:
- Use hands:
- Reach with hands and arms:
- Climb or balance:
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl:
- Lift/carry/push or pull: None
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.
HealthcareView all jobs at SGS