Agricultural Field Inspector
SGS Williston, ND
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.Job Description
Under general supervision, performs inspection of grain and food oil transport systems and loading/ unloading processes, and sampling of grains, food oils, and other commodities per established government regulations and standard operating procedures.
Directly reports to the Operations Manager or Lab Manager
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Performs Inspection/sampling of containers, barges, and rail cars at different locations.
• Supervises loading and counts of agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
• Physically measures, weighs, samples and takes temperatures (where applicable) of a variety of agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
• Calculates the transferred quantities (where applicable) and perform a full reconciliation of same.
• Performs initial analysis of the different grains, splitting the samples to speed the process for the Grain Graders.
• Transports commodity samples from the loading terminals to the office and vice versa.
• May perform basic laboratory testing of samples under supervision.
• Takes detailed notes and photographs to document the inspection process, and reports all required field activities as per National/Regional field forms.
• Maintains regular communication with administrative staff with reference to job status, progress, problems, etc.
• Stays informed of and adheres to latest industry and client procedures.
• At all times, adopts safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of SGS employees and clients, in line with SGS policies and procedures.
• At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Supervises others: No
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School diploma
• 0-2 years of previous experience in grain or oil inspection and/or grain grading operation.
• Completion of required training programs (Basic and Level I) to achieve and maintain proficiency at the Field Inspector I level.
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Associate degree in an agriculture related field
• 1-2 years of experience in grain or oil inspection and/or grain grading operation.
• Completion of required training programs (basic and Level I) to achieve and maintain proficiency at the Field Inspector I level.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English/ Intermediate level required
• Mathematical Skills: Intermediate level required
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required
• Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 Suite required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, management, external customers and the public.
• Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast paced, highly professional environment.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license as travel to various client sites is required.
• Must possess/ maintain a TWIC card to work on port or eligible to apply for a TWIC Card.
• Must be able to follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
• Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
• Ability to work well with others and independently.
• Works well under pressure.
• Exhibits positive team spirit.
• Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment when necessary.
• Frequent travel to client sites, ports, and facilities within the assigned region required, up to 50-75% of time. Overnight, out of state travel required.
• This job operates in a variety of outdoor environments, including granaries, agricultural fields, railyards, and ports/ harbors; also works indoors in lab and professional office environments. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. Able to work carefully with laboratory glassware, measurement and testing apparatus with due regard for the fragility of this equipment. Able to work carefully with and around chemical reagents and client samples.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Frequently
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Climb or balance - Frequently
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Frequently
• Talk/hear - Constantly
• Taste/Smell - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Occasionally
• Lift/carry/push or pull 50 pounds
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches/50 centimeters or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet/6 meters or more)
• Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point)
• Depth perception (three-dimension vision, ability to judge distance and three-dimensional relationships)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
• Ability to see color
• No special auditory requirements
• Safety Critical: Has a high exposure to a catastrophic operational incident; has a direct role in operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets, or the environment; and has no direct or very limited supervision available to provide operational checks.
WORK CONDITIONS / EXPOSURE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Location of the Job: Williston, ND or surrounding area
• Job requires working flexible schedule – nights and weekends may be required, dependent on client schedule.
• Must be able to work flexible and long hours (up to 12 hours per day) around shipping schedules (days, nights, weekends and holidays).
• Must be flexible to travel to overnight locations (up to 7 days).
Environmental Conditions Requirements:
• Wet or humid (non-weather) conditions - Constantly
• Work near moving mechanical pats - Frequently
• Work in high, precarious places - Occasionally
• Fumes or airborne particles - Constantly
• Toxic or caustic chemicals - None
• Outdoor weather conditions - Constantly
• Extreme cold (non-weather) - Frequently
• Extreme heat (non-weather) - Frequently
• Risk of electrical shock - None
• Work with explosives - None
• Risk of radiation - None
• Vibration - Occasionally
• Bio-hazard - Occasionally
Noise level: keep the highest that applies
• Loud (examples: metal can manufacture department, large earth-moving equipment)
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
o perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.