Summer 2023 Intern - Employee Benefit Services
- Posted: over a month ago
SUMMER 2023 INTERN
SET SEG is seeking a summer intern to work within the Employee Benefit Services department alongside professionals in underwriting, loss control, claims, sales and marketing. You will work with industry professionals from mid-May through mid-August in this full-time internship role (preferred dates are May 22nd – August 4th; approximately 36 hours per week). In this role, you would report to the Employee Benefits Operations Manager.
WHO WE ARE
School Employers Trust (SET) is a non-profit company that was created after a monumental shift in school funding happened in 1965. SET, which began in 1971, served as an employee benefits association focused on offering comprehensive and affordable employee benefit solutions to Michigan public schools and their employees. Two years later, its partner organization School Employers Group (SEG) was formed to administer compensation and fringe benefits for SET. As schools were faced with more challenges related to insurance, SEG evolved and grew into a company that provides workers’ compensation and property/casualty services for Michigan public schools.
Today, SET SEG continues to expand and find innovative ways to meet the specialized needs of its members. This, coupled with a superior member experience, is why SET SEG has maintained its position as an industry leader in the school insurance market. SET SEG is fortunate to be included on the "Best Place to Work" list by Business Insurance Magazine for the last five years.
In addition, we value those who proactively solve challenges, simplify the complex, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment. Our passion is delivering peace of mind to Michigan public schools. To learn more, visit: https://setseg.org.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support Michigan public schools through innovative and appropriate use of insurance. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect and teamwork, simplifying the complex, and where you can help Michigan public schools.
You are a service-oriented individual who has strong attention to detail and a willingness to pitch in and be part of a team. You the proven ability to communicate effectively to meet expectations.
- Assist in maintaining data in various Employee Benefits systems
- Observe and assist:
- MI School District payroll vendors with ACA system data specifications
- ACA team members with analyzing and recording action items from various partner reports
- Premium billing review and reconciliations
- Assigning and working Employee Benefit requests
- Auditing an expansive date set from the designated online enrollment tool
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal staff on various topics
- Attend unit and company meetings, as assigned
- Manage variety of projects for the department
- Other duties as assigned
- Current sophomores, juniors and seniors in college as of the end of the spring 2022 term with preferred areas of study including Risk Management & Insurance, Sales, Marketing, Communications, General Business, Management, Economics, Finance, Liberal Arts and Social Science
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present ideas and information in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business software applications with the ability to perform internet research
- Self-motivated, capable of independent follow up, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work in fast paced, multi-task environment with efficiency, promptness, professionalism and accuracy
- Ability to exercise professional demeanor and good business judgment in a stressful or time sensitive situation for members and parties
- Ability to interact with all SET SEG staff and understand core insurance processes and operations while communicating internally and externally in a professional manner
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Normal amount of sitting, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct majority of work at a computer; occasional travel to various locations throughout the state using company vehicle. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an "at will" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.
Powered by JazzHR
AddressEast Lansing, MI
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?