DIVISION: Youth Services
LOCATION: Southwest/Stecker or East side/Samaritan
REPORTS TO: Lead Career Coach
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Regular
APPROVED DATE: 5/28/2019
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for establishing linkages with employers, higher learning institutions and government agencies to create work experience, career opportunities and placements for youth participants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as the liaison between employers and the youth program
- Promotes the services of the Year Round Youth program to local employers in need of work experience interns and unsubsidized employees.
- Identifies and secures work experience and employment/career opportunities that match the skills and career interests of youth participants, by conducting employer site visits, using the Internet and social media, networking with community agencies and post-secondary institutions among other related activities.
- Manages the recruitment of employers and assesses and coordinates work site activities for summer work experience placements.
- Coordinates with the youth career coach and other staff to ascertain assigned youth’s needs, develop placement strategies, and ensure that concerns/barriers to successful job placement are addressed and resolved appropriately.
- Conducts workshops on employability skills including job seeking skills, effective interviewing techniques, resume writing, workplace conduct and appearance, etc.
- Secures employment verifications and other necessary documentation as required by funding source through employer visits, home visits and extensive telephone and mail communication.
- Assists with follow-up and job retention activities to ensure the needs of the youth are met after placement.
- Keeps abreast of employer satisfaction and needs by communicating on a regular basis.
- Monitors employer/work experience database information to ensure that work experience and placement opportunities are available for job-ready customers.
- Compiles reports that track activities and outcomes.
- Inputs case notes into all youth systems
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date program records and files and assist with file audits.
- Maintains a current understanding of economic and employment trends and emerging career opportunities for youth.
- Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, related field or equivalent education and experience in employment and training programs. One to two years of experience in recruitment, employment, training, marketing or a related field.
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish or English/Arabic preferred.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate and build professional relationships with employers and program participants.
- Computer skills necessary to maintain required documentation and to access information on the Internet.
- Mental ability to handle pressures related to meeting placement goals and dealing with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must have a reliable means of transportation to and from employer locations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.