Lead, motivate and direct the engineering organization. The target is to increase the development of new products whilst developing existing product ranges. Products vary from bespoke design to standard ranges. Lead & co-ordinate new product development activities by implementing processes that supports an efficient use of resources. Work with internal and external stakeholders to obtain necessary resources, Resolve inter-department issues and contribute toward project and organization objectives.
Report to the President of SEMCO and act as part of the SEMCO executive team
Major Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Implement clear processes for the R&D organization. Team management, employee satisfaction
- Project delivery according to plan
- Budget management
- Translates business strategy and opportunities into R&D strategy and priorities
- Lead new technology developments by leading, motivating and directing team of engineers
- Provides process & technical leadership to direct and manage new product development activities from pre-study to product launch and customer acceptance
- Lead the product sustaining activity together with manufacturing and quality departments
- Ability to take from R&D and liaison with factory for mass production
- Lead the test laboratory programs and investments, including customer test projects
- Provide leadership and guidance for non-routine problems requiring substantial judgment in the independent evaluation and selection of standard engineering techniques and procedures
- Define and defend the engineering budget for people, investments and expenses to obtain necessary resources, estimate labour hours and material costs
- Together with the project leaders, proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential issues, and develop contingency plans
- Follow project milestones and deliverables, make sure that each stage of the project is progressing on time, on budget and to the right quality standards
- Effectively communicate department expectations to team members & stakeholders in a timely and clear way
- Perform functions related to people performance, payroll, and other administrative tasks
- Coach, motivate and supervise team members, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the engineering team
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals and presentations
- Report regularly on progress to senior management
Major Organization Interfaces/Interactions:
3. Executive Staff Team
1. NORD Engineering Manager
2. Research Director
- Bachelor's or higher engineering Degree in mechanical, thermodynamic or controls specialty
- In addition to engineer studies, a background in engineering management would be useful
- 5 years in a similar position within the manufacturing industry and preferably in HVAC systems
- People management, development, performance management and team building experience
- Experience as project manager in product development
- Familiar with project management methods and tools
- Experience in an international environment is a benefit
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to lead a team, with strong people management skills, being persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Ability to work well with others and to create a smooth team work atmosphere, mentoring junior members
- Strong written and oral communication and negotiation skills
- Strong technical skills, being able to understand the engineering team issues & questions and being recognized as an unquestionable leader
- Hard worker, being self-motivated and focus on results
- Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical thinking with creative problem-solving ability
- Be adaptable and flexible, react to company adjustments promptly and efficiently
- Ability to balance resources, to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Understanding of budget development and control
- Understanding of HVAC business
- Ability and experience to work in an international company, driven by a desire to learn, support and succeed.
Taking the quality of indoor environments for granted can be costly. Consider how people working in these environments are affected. They suffer from a variety of illnesses, inattentiveness, and poor performance. The cost is staggering. Illnesses related to poor air quality cost organizations billions annually in lost productivity.
The current practice in building design is to construct airtight buildings that provide greater energy efficiency. This approach has created unintended consequences. Continuously re-circulated old air contributes to unhealthy indoor environments caused by a build-up of germs and potentially dangerous chemical pollutants. Traditional attempts to overcome this problem by increasing the amount of outside air brought into the building creates other problems: elevated humidity, higher noise levels, and increased energy demands.
Since 1963, FläktGroup SEMCO has pioneered products and services that improve indoor environments. Today, we are a worldwide innovator of desiccant-based products and systems able to recover energy, increase ventilation, and control humidity. We are also among the world's largest fabricators of energy-efficient spiral pipe and fittings, acoustical enclosures, and sound attenuators, all manufactured in America.