The Mechanical Engineer will work on all product stages from research and development to design and manufacture, through to installation and final commissioning. The goal is to design and fabricate mechanical components, sub-system and complete system of innovation and excellence on current and new airflow product and HVAC. Will prepare with due diligence, after appropriate consideration of client’s requirement and comprehensive compliance with PLE’s Quality System Procedure, to encourage a First-Time-Right (FTR) approach for preparation of design deliverables, per approved budget/schedule. He/she will lead the developments, designs, plans and implementation process, systems and procedures utilizing standard engineering or technology principles to complete assignments. He/she must have comprehensive understanding and knowledge of Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Energy Utilization, Heating, Ventilation, Air pre-conditioner, and System Integration.
Major Responsibilities and Tasks:
- High-quality execution and on-time achievement of product design, engineering feasibility and testing under regulated design controls
- Design and develop new, novel products and support existing products
- Create multiple concepts for complex problems, build representative prototypes (physical-prototypes and virtual-computer models), devise and perform tests to prove the concept and communicate results
- Highly skilled in modeling solids and surfaces using solid modeling software (Inventor)
- Demonstrate engineering expertise in evaluating and analyzing designs, able to determine design capabilities and margins against requirements and applies design trade-offs and constraints for design optimization
- Develop specifications, test methodologies and execute verification and validation testing
- Document results in reports and laboratory notebooks and engineering reports
- Prepare and present comprehensive design reviews demonstrating technical rigor and attention to detail
- Interact and collaborate effectively with cross functional groups i.e. Quality, Regulatory, Manufacturing, Marketing
- Ensure designs meet and exceed product specifications, regulatory requirements and international standards
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of mechanical engineering and product development group processes
- Grow and maintain technical knowledge current with advancing technologies related to product development of HVAC equipment
- Provide subject matter expertise in technical support areas such as root cause analysis, engineering analysis, statistical analysis, experimental design, failure analysis, specialized testing, design of experiments or other relevant areas
- Interface with Leads of other departments to reflect the as-on-date input from other departments, as applicable
- Coordinate and attend the design review meetings
- Work directly with customers to understand difficult product or system concerns and to expedite customer satisfaction as well as recommend new solutions on different area as such as air handler, air preconditioner and electronic control
- Focuses on working with marketing and engineering to match the requirement request from the customer
- Responsibilities include training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work
- Creates and develops product information and/or system concepts or operating processes to fulfill business needs
- Participates in technology transfer initiatives among IT departments, R & D, and Product Engineering
- Ability to prepare, evaluate and report on critical performance data for unitary unit and commercial refrigerated equipment. Must be capable to simulate component, sub-system and system (FEA, CFD and system simulation) with experimental validation to improve current and future designs.
- Good understanding of refrigeration control systems and electrical/electronic control. Must be able to develop a hypothesis and create test plans encompassing refrigeration equipment performance improvement, installation, test methodology, and conclusions.
- Capable of directing application and testing engineers during case testing to resolve issues regarding performance, parts and customer expectations.
- Must have experience at sizing and design of fan, condenser coils, evaporator coils, and other refrigeration components using simulation tools or any software for calculation.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and implement appropriate solutions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management and various other internal/external constituencies.
- Ability to effectively apply basic techniques of mathematical and statistical analysis.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Demonstrated ability to define strategy, supporting processes, and ensure implementation.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft office, Microsoft project, TRNSYS, EES, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Fluent and MathCAD.
- Knowledge of specs and standards used in commercial refrigeration industry.
- Practices effective project management skills.
- Coordinates and facilitates group meetings, effectively working with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Effectively performs assignments, often with minimal supervision.
- Initiate, execute and track work plans and activities to meet
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master’s Degree or PhD a plus.
- PE Required
- Must have 7 to 10 years experience
- Prefer experience in a related field such as airflow and thermodynamics
- Experience in FEA and CFD
- Experience in testing and model validation
Taking the quality of indoor environments for granted can be costly. Consider how people working in these environments are affected. They suffer from a variety of illnesses, inattentiveness, and poor performance. The cost is staggering. Illnesses related to poor air quality cost organizations billions annually in lost productivity.
The current practice in building design is to construct airtight buildings that provide greater energy efficiency. This approach has created unintended consequences. Continuously re-circulated old air contributes to unhealthy indoor environments caused by a build-up of germs and potentially dangerous chemical pollutants. Traditional attempts to overcome this problem by increasing the amount of outside air brought into the building creates other problems: elevated humidity, higher noise levels, and increased energy demands.
Since 1963, FläktGroup SEMCO has pioneered products and services that improve indoor environments. Today, we are a worldwide innovator of desiccant-based products and systems able to recover energy, increase ventilation, and control humidity. We are also among the world's largest fabricators of energy-efficient spiral pipe and fittings, acoustical enclosures, and sound attenuators, all manufactured in America.