SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union (NFFWU)
Title: UNION ORGANIZER, Fight for $15 and a Union Campaign Annual Salary: $48,000/YR
Location: Chicago, Illinois
SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union (NFFWU) is seeking energetic and passionate individuals interested in starting social justice careers in labor organizing.
NFFWU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fight to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the fast food industry through national, state and community campaigns.
NFFWU is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, and is united with those union members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and a commitment to a more just and humane society.
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to fast food workers and other non-union workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing worker leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to identify opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Additional duties and responsibilities, as needed, to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots organizing.
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of others.
- Ability to develop and carry out work plans.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct home and worksite visits.
- Ability to manage your time independently and carry out required responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to motivate and activate others.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance and automobile for business use.
- Basic map navigation skills a plus.
- Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is a plus but not required.
- If offered an SEIU NFFWU Chicago-based position, you will be required to relocate to Chicago, Illinois.
- Salary and benefits are set by collective bargaining agreement. Salary is $48,000 annual and benefits include $550/month car allowance, a cell phone allowance, comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan. This position is a salaried, over-time exempt position.
A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU NFFWU, provide an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position, and describe how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
The SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.