Senior Quality Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Scot Forge is a 125 year-old, 100% employee-owned company that manufactures custom open die and rolled ring forgings. At Scot Forge, we help our customers succeed in their most critical initiatives with forged solutions for everything from the world's physical infrastructure, energy and transportation to manufacturing, mining, and our national defense. From the wheels of NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover, to mission critical components for nuclear submarines, to large hydraulic cylinders for the largest mining trucks on the planet, Scot Forge creates the precision forged metal parts used in demanding applications all over the world.
Senior Quality Engineer will provide enterprise-wide leadership on market specific business segments and quality systems requirements. For the assigned market, he/she will ensure our business processes and systems meet the market/industry expectations for compliance, responsiveness, and integrity. This role will serve as the segment’s lead quality resource supporting sales, process engineering, and the shop as it relates to interpreting customer/industry specifications, ensuring individual order compliance, aligning functional procedures for compliance, and coordinating internal resources for implementing process improvements to ensure segment quality expectations. The resource in this role must have the problem solving and facilitation skills to challenge and
strengthen processes while demonstrating collaboration skills required to pull resources together and provide sustainable processes.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate segment specific QMS activities with customers and governing bodies regarding our quality system. Coordinate change management of quality system activities, assuring the system meet requirements and that consideration is given to the following criteria:
- Procedures, processes and systems should add value and contribute to Scot Forge Quality
- Segment quality processes must be compliant while minimizing bureaucracy
- Should be consistent with current strategies and objectives of the company
- Should be coordinated with appropriate process / document owners
- Must read and interpret complex specifications and contracts from multiple industries including but not limited to: Military, Nuclear, Aerospace, Oil and Gas, and others. This role will serve as one of the key authority resources as to the interpretation of specifications and be willing to provide written and verbal guidance to regulators, customers, and industry groups.
- Assures enterprise-wide compliance to the core industry/ customer specifications by facilitation of requirements compliance. Using project management skills, he/she will work with internal process owners developing implementation project plans ensuring effective implementation of the process requirements. Examples include NADCAP, AMS process requirements. The role will enable measured reduction in compliance errors throughout the business.
- Integrating into the order development workflow, this resource will review industry and customer specifications / contracts and, through working with quality assurance specialists, process engineers, and sales, will ensure new order packages communicate all compliance requirements.
- Support Scot Forge auditing program by performing duties of lead auditor for both internal and supplier audits. Additionally this resource will host/witness 2nd and 3rd party external audits and customer witnesses and their review of Scot Forge Quality System processes.
- Represent Scot Forge as we effectively communicate with customers’ sales, quality and technical resources regarding specification/contract requirements, manufacturing and process capabilities, and questions / complaints related to quality systems, product, processes or documentation.
- Support sales and process engineering in the creation, communication, and resolution of segment specific quality issues including NCRS and deviations.
- Lead and / or work with a cross functional team to identify root cause and develop and implement positive corrective action(s) to correct identified problem(s). Use, train, facilitate and coach teams in the proper use of Structured Problem Solving tools. Drive CAR’s to completion.
- Communicate and provide training to personnel regarding execution of procedures and interpretation of specifications/drawings as they apply to the technical manufacturing, test and inspection requirements invoked by customers.
- Facilitates between different process owners in multiple locations to maximizes standardization and clarity of practice. By thorough understanding of the business and manufacturing processes, the segment quality engineer will reduce redundancy in processes and procedures.
- Responsible for communicating areas of noncompliance and leading the organization in response, customer communication, and corrective actions.
- Utilize metrics to evaluate and eliminate waste for implemented processes, including efficiency, accuracy and quality improvements. Support and participate 6’s / Lean activities.
- Provide plant floor level quality culture leadership enabling the teams to fully understand their quality impact on our customers, our employee owned business, and their individual work groups.
- Train, support, and audit assigned areas ensuring education and compliance to all appropriate customer and industry requirements
- Train on the use of quality tools to reduce issues and improve quality measures
- Analyze nature of nonconformance using existing data analysis tools, share results with appropriate people, and develop plans for improvement
- Develop and leverage data trending tools including: Pareto Charts, Histograms, and other methods
- BS in engineering or metallurgy or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a quality resource in a high specification environment (Military, Nuclear, Aerospace, FDA, ETC)
- Significant experience in Structured Problem Solving (8D, A3 or other)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience in reading & interpreting specifications and technical documents
- Ability to Effectively Train Others
- Experience in writing procedures
- Managerial courage at a very high level with strong team leadership skills
- Experience in heavy manufacturing environment – willing to work in harsh conditions (Winter and Summer)
- Good understanding of lean/sigma tools
- Previous experience in the metals industry and/or metallurgy knowledge.
- Excellent Project Management Skills
- Qualified Lead auditor in systems such as ISO 9001:2008, AS9100.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- A mix of working in the office (mostly behind a desk in front of a computer) and in the shop
- Role flexibility is a requirement for all employee owners which may include the following areas/roles:
- Quality Engineer – Shop
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Process Engineering
- Shift and plant location may change based on production needs
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: M/F/Disabled/Vets encouraged to apply.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
AddressSpring Grove, IL
ManufacturingView all jobs at SCOT FORGE
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?