- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are seeking an energetic planning professional to provide private and municipal planning and permitting expertise as we develop and execute a wide variety of projects out of our Spokane office. The ideal candidate will demonstrate initiative and be able to work with our diverse clientele as a quick learner, working on a variety of planning-related tasks and responsibilities, and integrating with our company-wide planning team on projects across the Pacific Northwest and beyond. They will be partnered with SCJ planners, senior planners, and project managers to strengthen professional relationships with clients.
Who we are
Our mission is to serve our clients, communities, and each other with creativity, knowledge, insight, and perspective. As a 100% employee-owned company, at SCJ we value trust, compassion, freedom, stewardship, and integrity. We routinely and easily cross job description lines in order to be part of getting something done. Our fast-paced, fun, and flexible atmosphere offers the opportunity for meaningful work that challenges you, makes a difference, and improves communities. We specialize in civil engineering, transportation planning & design, environmental & urban planning, landscape architecture & design, and public outreach. With great projects and a fun-loving team, our firm has been named as both one of the nation’s fastest-growing and best places to work multiple times.
What our planning projects may include
- Current planning support for small-town clients
- Town center planning and redevelopment
- Comprehensive Plan updates
- Housing Action Plans
- Land use planning and permitting
- Parks and Trails planning
What you’ll be doing
- Interesting and challenging work that builds communities.
- Valuing relationships both within and outside of SCJ with strong communication. You will communicate with and build professional relationships with clients, agencies, colleagues, and the public.
- Working with municipal clients. You will be part of a team providing on-call support for municipal clients.
- Consulting and prioritizing. We’re looking for someone who can consult with clients, planners, and architects on specifications and project needs, assist with current and long-range planning projects, and be able to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines.
- Coordinating. You'll be coordinating the planning and permitting for work projects as well as working with planners to ensure work tasks are organized and progressing.
- Working on a variety of project tasks. You'll perform an assortment of land use, permitting, environmental, and transportation planning projects and tasks.
- Site visits and observations. We want you to get out of the office on occasion to visit the communities and clients you’re working for.
- Public engagement. Many of our planning projects have a degree of public engagement. This role will be integral in engagement efforts for a variety of projects.
- Supporting project managers, senior planners, and principals. You’ll be assisting with presentations to elected officials, hearings examiners, and various other public forums.
- Ensuring project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
What you bring
- A passion for serving others, communication, creativity, and a commitment to high-quality work.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning or related field or equivalent.
- Proficient in technical writing of plans and reports. A writing sample will be requested upon selection for interview.
- Knowledge of expectations and requirements in planning and permitting work for private &/or public clients.
- 0-2 years of planning experience.
What we bring
- An unbeatable culture: An autonomous and collaborative work environment, exceptional operational support, creative and supportive co-workers, and a compassionate leadership team. Plus other fun stuff including firmwide parties, mugshots, gold-medal virtual baking classes, fitness challenges, fantasy football league, trivia nights…and a variety of other creative ways we have found to come together and hang out.
- Quality projects: We pursue work that improves communities, challenges us, and makes a difference.
- Community involvement opportunities and a charitable matching program.
- Paid time off: vacation/sick time, holidays, personal floating holiday
- Retirement benefits: 401(k) plan & employee stock ownership plan (ESOP).
- Health, disability, and other insurance plan options to fit your needs. Including HSA & FSA. Contribution to medical/dental costs as follows: $665/mo. for employee-only coverage; $1,060/mo. for employee + child/ren coverage; $1,150/mo. for employee + spouse/domestic partner coverage; $1,545/mo. for employee + family coverage; any costs for health insurance premiums beyond the SCJ allowance will be your responsibility.
This is not a remote position. Though there is some flexibility, in-person office time will be necessary.
Get fresh Associate Planner jobs daily straight to your inbox!