The Controller / VP of Accounting will report directly to the managing member and CEO of the privately held RE development and management firm. The individual will supervise 1-2 accounting support staff members and have the unique opportunity to re-shape the company’s accounting processes, IT systems, reporting and internal controls following a recent migration to MRI. The firm maintains flexible office hours and a telecommuting policy from its Bethesda, MD office.
The candidate must display strong attention to detail, have real estate investment/property management accounting experience and embody an entrepreneurial team-oriented spirit.
- Manage all submissions and guidance to outside CPA firm for completion of all tax returns both on the entity level and for the owners.
- Preparation and analysis of portfolio-level accounting and reporting; responsible for the monthly closing process for each property, general ledger monitoring and maintenance, financial statement preparation, and the preparation of quarterly investor statements.
- Work with leasing and property management teams to develop and lead annual property and corporate budget cycles as well as forecasting.
- Evaluate and provide tax/accounting guidance with respect to investment decisions
- Submit and maintain lender compliance reporting and loan compliance activities
- Process capital calls, partner distributions and other ad hoc investor reports
- Oversee payroll processes and other HR duties as needed
- Work with third party IT firm to craft and ensure that MRI is fully developed for all team members
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field; CPA certification required
- At least 10 years of experience in real estate investment/property management accounting. Strong preference for institutional or investment fund management experience.
- Prior experience managing or supervising a support staff
- Strong technical skills including Microsoft Office, MRI and QuickBooks proficiency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The role will be highly visible, both internally and externally and provide the opportunity to speak directly with lenders, partners, investors and third parties.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience level. Pension available as well.
The Maven Group
A well-established real estate development and management company in the Washington metropolitan area, with over twenty-five years of experience in ground-up retail and stabilized institutional retail assets including Park Triangle, A 145,000 sf mixed-use property with residential and retail components and garage parking atop the subway, located in Columbia Heights, DC. Additionally, TMG owns and is actively pursuing site plan approval for senior housing mixed-use developments including senior housing, children’s day care and street front retail in both Central New Jersey and Annapolis, Maryland. Stuart Schooler and Warren Teitelbaum are the managing partners of The Maven Group which owns and operates The SportsPlex at Metuchen in Central New Jersey. For more detailed information on the principals and The Maven Group’s capabilities and experience, please see The Maven Group’s company website, www.themavengroup.us
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Maven Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
SCHOOLER ASSET MANAGMENT CO LC
Why Work Here?
Flat organizational culture offering substantial growth and exposure to all RE asset classes. Casual dog friendly office in Bethesda.