SBP AmeriCorps Disaster Recovery
- Expired: January 06, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Are you passionate about addressing social justice and sustainability? If so, our service-minded AmeriCorps team needs your help!
Climate change is here, increasing the size and frequency of natural disasters and displacing over 15 million people each year. Hurricanes like Ida, Harvey, Maria, and Ian disproportionately affect underresourced communities, whose road to recovery often takes years. SBP is dedicated to shrinking the time between disaster and recovery, work that includes helping individual homeowners and communities rebuild after a disaster.
Take a gap year with us! Over the course of 10 months, you can help us rebuild homes, repair lives, and fortify families from reaching their breaking point. As an SBP AmeriCorps member, you can choose to directly assist in our construction and disaster deployment efforts, or choose to play a crucial role in coordinating services to disaster survivors.
New Orleans and Houston members may also serve in SBP's Opportunity Housing Program in addition to working with home repair clients. The Opportunity Housing Program provides affordable, storm-resilient, energy-efficient homes for sale and rent to lower-income residents, to help them build resilience before disaster strikes. AmeriCorps members will gain valuable experience in how to redevelop neighborhoods and build housing that is affordable and resilient.
Where can you choose to serve?
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Houston, Texas
- San Juan, Puerto Rico - Spanish language competency required
What positions are available?
- As a Project Lead, you will rebuild, construct, and fortify the homes of disaster survivors. You will learn and master many phases of construction, and lead, mentor, and coach volunteers as they assist with your rebuilding efforts. You will learn sustainability and energy efficiency techniques that help homes better withstand future storms. No construction experience is necessary.
- As a Volunteer Coordinator, you will recruit and coordinate volunteer visits. You will welcome volunteer groups, talk to them about the impact of their service, and empower individuals to join us in being part of the solution!
- As a Supply & Logistics Coordinator, you will streamline SBP's warehouse and delivery system operations and make daily deliveries of supplies to our service sites. By prioritizing efficiency and ensuring our sites have the materials they need, you will actively help SBP reduce the time to bring disaster-impacted families back home.
- As a Construction Coordinator, you will play a fundamental role in maintaining the momentum of our operations by overseeing the construction progress of our client's homes. You will be involved from start to finish, whether securing proper permits for each site, designing subcontractor schedules, or monitoring overall site progress.
- As a Client Services Coordinator, you will be our clients' main point of contact through their time with SBP. Client Services Coordinators serve as a liaison for disaster survivors, offering them support by assessing needs, providing referrals, and guiding the application and construction process. Your work will fortify these members of our community from reaching their breaking points.
- As a Disaster Corps Project Lead, you will embody SBP's dedication to timely response, deploying to disaster-impacted communities following the immediate impact of natural disasters. When not on deployment, you will serve as Project Leads supporting recovery in your community. This role is only available at the New Orleans and Houston operating sites.
SBP AmeriCorps Benefits:
- Stipend of $2,100 per month (pre-tax)
- Free individual health insurance
- A housing stipend of $175/month for AmeriCorps alumni
- Relocation reimbursement of up to $500 for eligible members
- Segal Education Award of $6,495 (Can be used as tuition assistance and/or for repaying qualified student loans and is awarded upon successful completion of a 10-month term of service)
- AmeriCorps Childcare Benefits Program
- Student loan forbearance for qualified loans
- Free Mental Health, Financial, and Legal support through the Member Assistance Program
When would you start?
- We have rolling start dates throughout the year! Submit your application now and one of our recruiters can talk to you about upcoming start dates. AmeriCorps team members commit to a 10-month service term.
Want to learn more?
- Watch SBP's Anthem video to hear how we are helping prevent people from reaching their breaking point.
- Watch this video to learn What is AmeriCorps?
As an AmeriCorps member serving with SBP, you will be part of the growing national service movement. You will receive professional development with a dynamic social-impact organization that is pioneering a new model for disaster recovery to support people, especially those who are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change. If you're committed to learning, have a strong work ethic, and enjoy working with volunteers, we want you on our team!
COVID-19 Safety Statement: SBP requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all team members. SBP team members closely interact with vulnerable populations. As such, we have an obligation to ensure that no team member poses a direct threat to the health or safety of our clients, themselves, or others in the workplace. All vaccinated team members will be required to submit photocopies of the front and back of their vaccination cards prior to onboarding with SBP.
AddressPanama City, FL
Get fresh Recovery Worker jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.