CAT Engine Technician
- Posted: over a month ago
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing natural gas engines, compressors, generators, coolers, and/or other power-driven equipment.
- Lead root cause investigations for equipment failures
- Inspect engines, compressors and mechanical equipment, diagnose problems and determine extent of necessary repairs
- Perform all tasks for commissioning of natural gas compressor package, including but not limited to drive coupling alignments, mechanical clearance checks, equipment performance evaluation and tuning, instrumentation calibration, control panel configuration, operational training, etc.
- Complete all OEM and Packager pre-start and post start inspections/tasks and document in appropriate checklists/reports
- Submit warranty registration documentation to OEMs to register customer owned equipment for warranty.
- Complete baseline vibration/emissions analysis for new equipment
- Supervision of compressor package installation. Must have complete working knowledge of a natural gas compressor package and equipment installation procedures
- Supervise field overhauls and maintenance of compressors and engines (occasional)
- Mentorship of new employees/technicians
- Performing lockout/tagout, starting/stopping of equipment
- Use of hand tools, power tools, and electronic diagnostic equipment
- Perform job duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Must meet required production rate expectations.
- Must adhere to company policies and procedures
- Understanding of equipment repair manuals
- Performs other functions/duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel for extended periods of time. (3-5 weeks)
- Must drive assigned company truck from home base to customer locations through US.
Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills& Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements for this position are listed below:
- High school education or GED
- Caterpillar Gas Engine training certifications
- Ariel Compressor training/certifications
- Waukesha engine training (preferred, not required)
- PLC programming training (preferred, not required)
Required Skills and knowledge
- Must have experience with heavy mechanical, some electrical service, and mechanically inclined with the ability to trouble shoot, diagnose, inspect, advised, and repair. Must have the ability to learn and work independently
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers Internal as well as external
- Ability to write reports of a technical nature
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusion
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills are essential to balance customer needs with company cost.
- Good customer management skills are required in order to maintain customer confidence
- Vibration/Emissions Analysis experience is preferred
- Must be computer literate.
- Must speak fluent English
- 2 years industry experience is preferred
- Prior experience/accreditation for commissioning Caterpillar 3600 series engines is required
- Prior experience commissioning Ariel compressors is required
- Experience with installation of natural gas compressor packages is required
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft office, word, outlook, excel, etc.
- Cat Electronic Technician
- Waukesha ESM
- Ariel Performance Program
- Control panel configuration software, Altronic, Murphy, EMIT, etc.
- Allen Bradley – RsLogix software (preferred, not required)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Lifting up to 75 lbs. occasionally
- Driving, walking, and standing frequently
- Exposure to adverse weather, cramped conditions and some heavy lifting
- Visits to industrial/manufacturing settings, which may include exposure to various materials and chemicals, as well as extreme temperature conditions and loud machinery, and require appropriate personal protective equipment
- Assignments at customer sites with known concentration levels of H2S
S.E.S. Global Inc.
ManufacturingView all jobs at S.E.S. Global Inc.