Rutherford Hill Winery is seeking a dynamic, full-time Laboratory Technician to join our team. Our ideal candidate has a passion for quality wine and to be part of our dedicated winemaking team! We are searching for someone who can not only perform accurate analysis but who takes it a step further, to look at what the numbers mean and how they contribute to our wines.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
• Collect samples from tanks and barrels and perform all routine laboratory analysis.
• Ensure precision and accuracy of analysis by troubleshooting, calibrating, and standardizing on a routine basis.
• Responsible for review and accuracy of results. Report inaccuracies to the Winemaking Team.
• Review analysis for the purpose of reacting to problems or opportunities (at all times). Recognize results that are out of range and takes action, communicates, and reanalyzes.
• Perform upkeep and timely maintenance of all lab equipment.
• Complete records in a timely and organized manner.
• Oversee and manage the lab supplies. Ensure adequate supply of general supplies, chemicals & reagents. Ensure that chemicals & reagents are not expired.
• Maintain an up to date MSDS.
• Be knowledgeable in and apply all laboratory procedures.
• Assist Enologist in evaluating and establishing methods and procedures in the laboratory to monitor and improve the quality of wine produced.
• Participate in educational seminars, classes, and events as directed.
• New duties as required by your direct supervisor.
• Set up and participate in the cork quality control program and testing of corks.
• Manage & perform all necessary laboratory analyses when bottling, including QC before, during, and after.
• Evaluate QC analysis and follow up by ensuring corrective actions are taken by cellar &/ or notify winemaking team as directed.
• Maintain up to date record keeping during harvest by ensuring results are promptly available to winemaking team in the format selected by the assistant winemaker.
• Work to ensure the highest quality and condition of the grapes and wine produced by maintaining the Lab Quality Control and Lab Quality Assurance during this time.
• Observe company policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook & Laboratory Manual.
• Maintain health and safety awareness and compliance in the Laboratory at all times.
• Perform routine Sensory Quality Control on all Wine and communicate any issues to Winemaking Team.
• Maintain the laboratory in a clean, professional, and economical factor.
• Collaboration: Work together as one team to achieve our objectives. Place the team purpose above personal gain
• Business Process & Practice: Support the development and execution of simple, efficient and effective business process
• Build Great Relationships: Communicate clearly and transparently. Listen for complete understanding.
• Create Team Focus: Be disciplined in prioritization of team activity and allocation of resources
• Celebrate Our Successes: Acknowledge the hard work of others. Celebrate the wins!
Skills & Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, experience and/ or abilities required.
• Education background in science
• 1-3 years of directly related experience
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Attention to detail and good organizational skills are a must.
• Possess the drive and desire to learn processes and procedures
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills required.
• Ability to work well with others and to work long hours during harvest (September- December), including rotating shifts if needed.
• Good written and verbal communication, as well as time management skills.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situation to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
• Ability to think critically.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word. Winemakers Database is a plus.
• Hold a valid driver’s license.
For California Residents:
We may collect the following categories of personal information in connection with the submission of your resume or application materials to us for employment, and if hired, your employment with us: identifiers (e.g., name, address, email address, birthdate, passport number); personal records (e.g., telephone number, signature, education information, criminal background information, travel information for interviews); biometric information (e.g., results of urine test); and professional or employment information (e.g., resume, employment history, background check forms, references). We may also draw inferences from the personal information we collect about you, such as information about your abilities and aptitudes.
The above categories of personal information are collected for the following business purposes: providing you services and benefits (e.g., recruitment, verifying your information, administering the hiring process); processing interactions and transactions (e.g., to comply with federal and state laws requiring us to maintain certain records, managing the workforce); and security (e.g., detecting security incidents, protecting against fraudulent or illegal activity).
For additional details and questions, contact us at 844-901-1833