Administers the credit and collection activities for an assigned Accounts Receivable portfolio in one or more 3M Business Units, Divisions, and/or Business Groups, following generally defined policies and procedures. As this is a customer-facing position, interaction is with both internal 3M clients and external 3M customers. An individual employed in this position is expected to have basic knowledge of credit and collection policies and principles. This position works independently within company guidelines to meet targets and objectives set by 3M management. Consults with senior co-workers, supervisor, or management for guidance on difficult or unusual situations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Partners with customers and internal clients to resolve delinquent and disputed accounts for assigned Accounts Receivable portfolios. Working independently, performs vigorous collection activity on past due accounts within generally defined credit policies and procedures through extensive telephone, email, fax, written, and personal face-to-face communication. Reconciles other open items on customers’ accounts, such as, open credits and unapplied payments. Resolution includes research and appropriate document gathering to ensure 3M and customer records are in agreement and compliant with local regulations.
2. Evaluates credit worthiness of current and new customers and establishes credit limits based on analysis of trade reporting, internal 3M data, and other data available within policies and authorization levels set by management. Utilizes basic credit analysis skills to interpret all information prior to extending, increasing, or denying credit availability. Unusual situations are referred to a senior credit professional, credit risk analyst, or management team.
• Between 1-2 years Business to Business credit and collections credit & collections experience
• Interpersonal, communication, analytical, organizational and short-term planning skills.
• Negotiating and influencing skills.
• Professional, positive, and tactful demeanor with clients and customers.
• A Bachelor’s degree level of education in such fields as business administration, finance, accounting, or economics, or equivalent training through experience is normally required to apply knowledge of Credit and Collection principles, theory, and applications.
• Accreditation through National Association of Credit Managers
• Handles a variety of inquiries and develops solutions for moderately complex issues. Problem solving requires the use of judgment, research and analytic skills to determine possible solutions and make appropriate choices. Decisions or actions can directly impact business unit, division, and corporate economic profit and sales goals. Consults with senior co-workers, supervisor, or management when difficult or unusual situations are encountered. The employee works independently, consulting with supervisor or manager on goal-setting and progress.