Surgical Technologist II, Operating Room - Weekend Nights
Active Regular FT (72 to 80 hours per pay period)
Operating Room Nursing
Surgical Technologist II - Weekend Nights
Rush is a health care leader offering world-class innovation , driven by collaboration and committed to accountability and respect , continually striving for excellence in everything that we do. Join a team committed to shaping the future of health care - and discover what your career could be.
The Surgical Technologist 2 assists in patient care and surgical services under the supervision of a registered nurse. The primary responsibility of this position is to carry out the function of the scrub role during surgical procedures. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
This position is scheduled for 12 hour weekend/nights - Friday-Sunday.
Position Responsibilities :
- Applies the correct principles of aseptic technique.
- Establishes and protects the integrity of the sterile field and back table at all times.
- Recognizes breaks in technique by self and others and takes corrective action and reports to RN in room.
- Handles/secures instruments, cords and draping materials utilizing aseptic technique.
- Prepares instrumentation and equipment for decontamination per service protocols.
- Demonstrates advanced operating room technical skills
- Self-directed in coordinating scrub activities for complex surgical procedures.
- Cares for and handles surgical instruments/equipment according to service protocols.
- demonstrates manual dexterity in handling instruments and equipment
- assumes responsibility for proper functioning and maintenance of equipment in the room as delegated by the RN
- Identifies specialty instruments by type, function and name.
- Accounts for sponges, needles and instruments according to operating services policies and procedures.
- Maintains an orderly sterile field, Mayo stand and back table throughout the surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of progressive steps in multiple surgical procedures.
- anticipates the needs of the surgical team
- communicates variation in surgical procedure to RN
- anticipates emergent circumstances and communicates the information to the RN
- Dons Personal Protective Equipment according to policy and procedure.
- Disposes biohazard waste per policy and procedure.
- Actively participates in maintaining each patient's dignity and safety at all times.
- Works, collaboratively with all members of the health care team to assure that (1) each patient's privacy is protected and (2) every patient record is considered strictly confidential.
- Assists in transferring the patient to and from the OR table to the transport cart.
- Functions in an efficient manner at all times.
- Opens and utilizes supplies and equipment judiciously.
- Restocks rooms according to the established par stock lists.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and decision making at all times.
- Serves as a role model for peers by demonstrating initiative an self-direction.
- Demonstrates consideration and cooperation within the operating room.
- Assists nursing personnel by carrying out additional duties as delegated.
- behavior as indicated.
- Utilizes the resources of the Medical Center in a responsible manner to accomplish daily work.
- Carries out the components of performance necessary for successful Rush employees
- HS Diploma/GED equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program
- Current certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- Minimum of one year experience as a Surgical Technologist
- Analytical ability is required
- Communication skill is required in order to teach
- Must be able to interact effectively with others in difficult situations
- Work requires the ability to walk throughout the Medical Center and to be standing or walking most of the designated shift
- Work requires lifting or carrying objects 35-40lbs. and lifting and positioning patients, some of whom may exceed 300 lbs.
- The ability to check documents for errors and use a keyboard to enter or retrieve data
- Work conditions include performing procedures where carelessness could result in injury or illness and contact with potentially infectious materials and/or strong chemical agents
- The ability to check documents for errors and use a keyboard to enter or retrieve data.
- Work conditions include performing procedures where carelessness could result in injury or illness and contact with potentially infectious materials and/or strong chemical agents.
- Rush was recently ranked first for Quality and Accountability among 102 leading academic medical centers in the US in a study conducted by the health care services company Vizient.
- Ranked among the top academic medical centers in the country, Rush University Medical Center is an outstanding place to enhance your career. Everything we do centers on one goal: improving patient care.
- Rush offers a competitive salary, and valuable healthy living benefits including: health, dental and vision to help you maintain and improve your health. Rush also offers several ways to invest in your future.