Surgical Technologist I, Operating Room
Active Regular FT (72 to 80 hours per pay period)
Operating Room Nursing
Surgical Technologist 1, Operating Room
Rush is a health care leader offering world-class innovation , driven by collaboration and committed to accountability and respect , continually striving for excellence in everything that we do. Join a team committed to shaping the future of health care - and discover what your career could be.
The Surgical Technologist works under the supervision of a registered nurse and maintains responsibilities associated with the scrub role during all surgical procedures.
- Establishes and protects the integrity of the sterile field and back table at all times. Applies the correct principles of aseptic technique.
- Applies the correct techniques of disinfection and antisepsis.
- Prepares instrumentation and equipment for decontamination per established protocols.
- Demonstrates competency in scrubbing all assigned surgical procedures and safely carries out the scrub role during the surgical procedure.
- Cares for and handles surgical instruments/equipment according to Operating Room protocols
- Works, collaboratively with all members of the health care team to assure that each patient's privacy is protected and every patient record is considered strictly confidential.
- Assists in transferring the patient to and from the OR table to the transport cart. Opens and utilizes supplies and equipment judiciously.
- Restocks rooms according to the established par stock lists.
- Demonstrates consideration and cooperation within the operating room.
- Exhibits, consistently, professional interactions with managers, co-workers, physicians and all other operating room personnel.
- Continually improves personal skills to ensure the highest quality patient care. Attends training and educational programs identified by Rush as necessary for this position
- Exhibits the spirit of team in working with other Rush staff.
- Demonstrates a willingness to accept positive and negative feedback and changes behavior as indicated. Maintains a safe and orderly work environment.
- HS Diploma/GED equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program Analytical ability is required.
- Effective communication skills are essential.
- Must be able to interact effectively with others in difficult situations.
- On-call responsibility
- Work requires the ability to walk throughout the Medical Center and to be standing or walking most of the designated shift. Work requires lifting or carrying objects 35-40lbs. and lifting and positioning patients, some of whom may exceed 300 lbs.
- Work conditions include performing procedures where carelessness could result in injury or illness and contact with potentially infectious materials and/or strong chemical agents.
- Rush offers a competitive salary, valuable healthy living benefits to include: health, dental and vision to help you maintain and improve your health. Rush also offers several ways to invest in your future. Whether you're saving for retirement or a child's education, Rush offers benefits to help you make the most of your money...now and in the future.
- Rush's new 14-story hospital is the cornerstone of the Rush Transformation, an ongoing effort to build new facilities, renovate existing buildings and adopt new technology.
- Ranked among the top 20 "Best Places to Work" by Indeed.
- For demonstrating leadership in the use of information technology, Rush University Medical Center and Rush Oak Park Hospital have been listed among the most wired hospitals in the nation by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.