Full-time Surgical Scrub Technologist needed for ambulatory surgery center in the Rush University Medical Center complex. Come be a part of our growing team!
An Operating/Procedure Room Surgical Technician performs technical responsibilities relative to assisting physicians with the instrumentation of surgical intervention. Monitors PAR levels of all surgical instruments and supplies. Able to clean and sterilizes all surgical instruments. Creates and maintains a sterile surgical environment. Participates in staff meetings and performance improvement activities. Works under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served in the Center. Must demonstrate the knowledge of the principle of growth and development of the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his/her age specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the Center’s policies and procedures.
- Makes sure all supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure are present and in working order
- When functioning in the “Float” role – make sure all supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures of the next day(s) are appropriately arranged via contacting the requesting surgical service and/or representatives. Able to correct and/or update scheduling changes related to preference cards and/or procedures. Cover break and/or lunch relief for unit OR staffing.
- Sets up a sterile field and operating room table with the proper instruments, equipment, supplies and any medication or solutions needed for the surgical procedure
- Make sure all equipment used is sterile
- Make sure the patient is properly positioned and comfortable during the procedure
- Assists in draping the sterile field
- Helps surgeon and assistants with their gowns and gloves to maintain sterile environment
- Maintains the strictest standards of sterile technique during surgery
- Passes instruments, supplies and equipment to the surgeon
- Prepares and handles sterile dressings
- Performs counts with the circulating surgical technologist before the start of surgery and prior to the incision
- Able to clean, assemble, and sterilize surgical instruments used in surgery
- Assists other team members with turn over cleaning of the operating room and preps for next patient
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Graduate of approved Operating Room Technical School with certification preferred, or one (1) year of on the job experience.