We are L.A. based non profit RuckusRoots, seeking artists with passion for local ecology and community improvement.
This position is stipend-based (dependent on experience)
The Teaching Artist will report directly to the Program Director, and to the Executive Director, of RuckusRoots. Teaching Artist will support our efforts in leading the Wild Art program at Eucalyptus Elementary in Hawthorne, CA for the fall semester of 2019. Teaching Artist will oversee and direct all aspects of Wild Art in the classroom, including planning, preparation, activity guidance, classroom management while successfully working alongside parent volunteers and school staff on-site
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Classes will meet from about 2-3pm 4 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) and will run for about 8 weeks, starting around October 1, 2019. Aside from class time, you will also be responsible for set up, clean up and final event preparation and attendance.
- Facilitate classes, successfully leading students through Wild Art lessons for program duration
- Develop lesson plans based on RuckusRoots curriculum
- Prepare materials for each workshop session
- Use a wide variety of techniques to engage, inspire and interact with students
- Build and sustain productive working relationships with site staff
- Maintain a high level of flexibility and professionalism at all times
- Collect, organize, and submit student work, sign in sheets, surveys, handouts, etc.,
- Submit written reflections at the end of each week and /or participate in end of program evaluations
- Work under supervision of RuckusRoots Program Director to expand and deepen facilitation skill set and tool box
- Document classroom activities through photo and video when required
- Collaborate effectively with other teaching artists, school admin and parent volunteers.
- Attend trainings as well as end of semester event and activities
- Other duties, as necessary
- Experience working with youth in school and or/community settings
- At least 3 years of experience in art-related or teaching field
- Knowledge of and experience in workshop/session planning and logistics
- Strong facilitation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Comfort with solo facilitation
- Knowledgeable of painting, drawing, design and basic color theory
- Interest in and knowledge of sustainability concepts and working with recycled materials
- Interest in ecology and wildlife
- Committed to bringing the best, high quality arts programming possible to underserved communities
- Desire and willingness to actively grow as a teaching artist
- Interested in/have previous experience working with underserved, at-risk youth populations
- Access to a personal computer and mobile device and knowledge of related software applications (word processing, Google Drive, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Reliable, punctual and trustworthy
- Ability to make appropriate decisions and judgments on the fly
- A leader and someone who works well with others
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Background in visual art
- Experience teaching art to children
- Strong teaching and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Passion for or experience in sustainable-related field.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bilingual (Spanish and English), a plus
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Interest in sustainability, repurposed materials and wildlife preferred
- Be a resident of/have familiarity with, the Hawthorne area and an interest in growing the community there
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Reliable Transportation
- TB/LIVESCAN/BACKGROUND CHECK clearance (or willingness to take one)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
Be able to lift at least 20 pounds.
Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel to school site in Hawthorne, CA
Please note this description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the teaching artist for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This document does not create a contract, implied of otherwise, other than an at-will relationship.