Title: Waste Management Professional
Pay Rate: DOE
Location: Berkeley, CA 94720
Length: 1 year contract with possible extension
Waste Management Professional (100%)
· Provide guidance, direction and recommendations to research and operations personnel regarding effective and compliant implementation of waste management policies, procedures, permits and regulatory compliance requirements.
· Determine proper application of generator’s process knowledge, and/or analytical results necessary to assure safe and compliant management of waste streams.
· Provide waste characterization technical support to assigned areas of research and operations. Classify and certify waste to ensure safety and compliance to meet on-site TSDF and off-site TSDF WACs and DOT requirements.
· Participate in multi-disciplinary teams in support of WM and ISM in assigned areas.
· Identify, establish and implement analytical methods to ensure accurate waste characterization and verification.
· Identify, establish and implement plans, profiles, protocols, contracts, documents and manifests necessary to ship waste to off-site TSDFs or other receiving sites.
· Develop and deliver training to Lab personnel.
· Develop and maintain close relationships with Laboratory personnel, anticipating their needs and supporting planning and implementing their objectives by furnishing waste management input.
Technical program support
· Develop and maintain technical program documentation in subject areas assigned ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and standards.
· Evaluate performance of assigned technical programs to identify potential improvements.
· Compile and submit regulatory reports, requests for information and other regulatory information as assigned.
· Act as point of contact with regulatory agencies for assigned technical programs.
· Review federal, state and local laws, pertaining to waste management, to identify changes regarding statutes and rulings. Review and update assigned procedures, policies and other documentation to ensure WM programs reflect current, regulations, relevant guidance documents, and safe work practices.
QA and assurance
· Oversee, certify waste shipments and approve waste manifests in assigned areas.
· Provide oversight of other WMG staff performing waste characterization, classification and certification activities
· Review laboratory and/or construction/demolition waste characterization to ensure compliance with established waste acceptance criteria.
· Implement the WM QA Plan and the associated waste characterization QA program, including issuance of QA exception reports, follow-up, and tracking/trending of program results.
· Independently perform audits and assessments of assigned areas and programs.
· Oversee the management and maintenance of all applicable WM files and records necessary to satisfy regulatory requirements, policies, and procedures.
· Ph.D. in Chemistry, Public Health, Physics, Environmental Science or related field and 3-5 years’ experience; or M.S. and 5-7 years’ experience; or B.S. and 7-10 years’ experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
· Comprehensive knowledge of Federal, state and local regulatory requirements for management of hazardous waste and transportation of hazardous materials. OR Comprehensive knowledge of Federal & State regulatory requirements for management of radioactive and mixed waste and transportation of these materials.
· Broad knowledge of waste management principles and practices as applied to research establishments and permitted hazardous waste handling facilities.
· Broad knowledge in chemistry of hazardous waste and waste compatibility.
· Extensive knowledge of EPA sampling and analysis methods and interpretation of analytical data.
· Ability to work independently under consultative direction.
· Effective written and oral communication skills and ability to interact and work effectively with technicians and professionals
· Demonstrated ability in giving oral presentations or briefings to interdisciplinary audiences and senior management.