Rockford Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinary medical facility located in beautiful Rockford, Michigan. Our owner, Dr. Good, is a graduate of Michigan State University and has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 30 years. Our mission is to provide the most advanced and compassionate medical care, surgical care and dental care to our cherished pets and owners, and exceptional service at every visit.
We are seeking a passionate Veterinary Assistant with a strong work ethic, high quality of patient care and outstanding customer service. The ideal candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced, detail-oriented work environment where s/he can excel as our practice grows.
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for assisting the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases. They also work closely with our licensed veterinary technicians and other staff by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. They play a significant role in communicating with and educating clients about their pets.
The hourly range for this position is based on experience. Benefits are outlined in the employee benefit policy and are separate from the hourly rate. Hours are M-F from 9AM to 3PM - no weekends of evenings - perfect for a job seeker looking for work life balance. Benefits are outlined in the employee benefit policy and are separate from the hourly rate.
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- At least 18 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Computer literate
- Minimum one-year experience as a veterinary assistant in a veterinary clinic/hospital and/or animal shelter or control facility.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and can deal with them even when they are aggressive, stressed, ill or in pain.
- Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis.
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature manner.
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members.
- Has excellent communication skills.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs.). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, animal feces and allergens. May also be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Able to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner
- Discusses general medical topics, pet nutrition, flea prevention, heartworm prevention and behavioral issues with clients about their pets
- Knows basic veterinary medical concepts
- Communicates in an effective and professional manner with public, trainees, and all RAH staff members
- Always represents the hospital in a professional and courteous manner
- Follows all written and verbally communicated departmental standard operating procedures
- Assists in the administering of vaccines, conducts bloodwork tests, notifies the veterinarian and vet techs of labwork results, etc.
- Fills and refills prescriptions with the doctor’s permission
- Treats the animals according to the doctor’s instructions
- Administers oral medications
- Performs heartworm checks, nail trims, anal gland expressions, ear flushings, fecal exams and other required duties
- Responsible for prepping patients for surgery; observing all clinic procedures, to enforce sterility and safety of patients
- Performs general duties in the operating room during surgery, assisting with movement of patients, recovery of patients; cleaning, stocking and general flow
- Ensures prompt and accurate paperwork procedures are followed each day
- Able to respond appropriately during an emergency; able to take directions from a veterinarian and/or veterinary technician, and maintain competency in CPR procedures
- Able to work full days as a veterinary assistant as assigned
- Assists with training new staff members and other staff trainees on how to utilize our patient care protocols
- Does all other duties as assigned and/or requested