Space Systems Project Manager
- Posted: over a month ago
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we're adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab's evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab's future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc. provider flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our component's business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SPACE SYSTEMS PROJECT MANAGER
Rocket Lab is seeking a Project Manager to support the development of Space Systems Programs.
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO
- Project manager for the design, development, test, and production phases of Rocket Lab's space systems for low Earth orbit and/or deep space missions
- Responsible for delivering Rocket Lab's space systems to the launch pad on time and within budget
- Works in collaboration with the Photon chief engineer to plan and execute the Photon project
- Identifies implementation issues and proactively develops recovery plans before schedule and cost impacts are realized
- Approves selection and make/buy decisions of spacecraft components and manages subcontracts
- Reports project status, issues, and problems to Rocket Lab senior leadership
- Leads or approves inputs into proposal development and business development activities
- Team leader and accountable for the cost and schedule performance of the team
- Manages relationships with a broad set of engineering and production teams (not direct reports) to deliver on project goals
- Develops and maintains professional working relationships with all project stakeholders across the company
YOU'LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of demonstrated space systems project management experience across multiple spacecraft flight projects or programs
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physics, math, or related discipline
- Demonstrated employee management experience and proficiency in task management
- Thorough understanding of space systems and subsystems and demonstrated breadth and depth across multiple spacecraft engineering disciplines
- Significant experience with systems engineering methods including systems trades, requirements management, performance characterization and interface management
- Demonstrated ability to identify and address problems using a proactive, systematic approach
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and implement project plans and cost and schedule against a baseline and meet requirements and stakeholder expectations
- Broad understanding of the spacecraft component supply chain and broad network of vendor relationships across the supply chain
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to travel regularly, including international travel
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE
- 10+ years of demonstrated space system project management experience across multiple spacecraft flight projects/programs
- Formal project management qualifications such a PMP, APMP, etc.
- Proficiency with project and engineering management tools, e.g., Microsoft Project, Teamcenter, etc.
- Experience managing both low cost and high cost space programs
- Experience managing both deep space and low Earth orbit missions
- Experience with government customers, government requirements, and government project management practices
- Experience with launch vehicle design, development, and/or operations
- Active Secret or Top Secret/SCI security clearance or the ability to obtain on
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status
Rocket Lab USA
AddressLong Beach, CA
TechnologyView all jobs at Rocket Lab USA