DESCRIPTION OF WORK
General Statement of Duties: The Fiber Network Technician I oversees the design, installation, and maintenance of the Fiber Optic plant to ensure service quality exceeds client expectations.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of a Manager.
Supervision Exercised: Exercises general and technical supervision over Installation Technicians and seasonal staff.
TYPICAL DUTIES PERFORMED
Oversees the design, preforms installation, quality control, and validation of mainline and service drops.
- Preforms fiber splicing and testing.
- Supervises Installation Technicians and seasonal staff including; assigning and prioritizing work, approving timesheets, training, coaching, evaluating work and recommending rewards and discipline.
- Ensures the restoration of customer properties after installation of fiber optic lines exceeds customer expectations.
- Oversees and preforms the installation of both internal and external work.
- Handles customer issues relating to installations.
- Works closely with contractors and staff to adequately wire businesses and apartment complexes with the least invasive methods possible.
- Ensures proper maintenance to company buildings and emergency backup system.
- Develops and maintains a proper inventory system to control ordering quantities and track items of value including, but not limed to plant equipment and supplies.
- Works with contractors and staff to ensure proper network interface device (NID) placement at residential and commercial locations to ensure smoothest installation process for the customer and technician.
- Provides internal and external client support that meets expectations.
- Provides guidance to utilities locator as needed, providing GIS, as built maps and network documentation.
- Provides necessary training to installers for locating.
- Reads and interprets engineering plans, maps and utilities schematics as required.
- Maintains data about plant equipment and facilities including equipment locations and mapping systems.
- Participates in the on-call rotation.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of safe and acceptable practices and OSHA standards.
- Considerable knowledge of practices, methods and techniques to accurately locate underground utilities.
- Considerable knowledge of communications plant construction right of way.
- Working knowledge of various construction practices.
- Working knowledge of personal computer use including standard software packages.
- Considerable ability to communicate company needs to third party contractors and City Engineering personnel.
- Ability to inspect, advise, and monitor the work of contract construction crews.
- Ability to locate, record and notify others of underground utilities.
- Ability to solve problems as they arise.
- Ability to analyze information and understand requirements.
- Ability to understand engineering and shop drawings.
- Ability to read blueprints and maps to interpret construction specifications.
- Ability to handle multiple projects.
- Working ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with excavators, city employees and the general public.
- Working ability to learn State and Local damage prevention regulations and utility construction patterns and layout.
- Ability to work in and around construction zones, and to climb into utility holes and trenches to perform the work.
- Working skill in the operation of various hand tools.
- Working skill in the safe operation of various construction equipment including: backhoe, hyra ladder, vibratory plow, directional drill and skid loader.
- Working ability to drive safely and legally.
- Working ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
An Associate Degree in related field or five years of related work experience in underground and aerial telecommunications plant construction is required. Customer service and locating experience required. Project Management and supervisory experience preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.