With a partnering approach, Robins & Morton works on healthcare and commercial construction projects of all sizes, creating a collaborative and transparent environment for everyone involved. Our R&M teams work with a self-motivated spirit to ensure an exceptional partnering experience for our clients, design partners, trade partners, and our employees. We commit ourselves as a company to provide a safe work environment for our team, our clients and those who live in the communities in which we work. Robins & Morton is looking for a Project Safety Manager to educate the jobsite and facilitate practical application of safety measures. If you are motivated to find and implement practices for safety management, ensuring each team member makes it home to their families every day, we are interested in you!
We are looking for an innovative, experienced Project Safety Manager to help maintain our culture of safety commitment to each other. Specifically, the Project Safety Manager will devote him/herself to the effective administration of the R&M Safety Management System, helping us to maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job)
- Stop any observed imminent danger event/activity immediately without consultation.
- Conduct/document in-depth safety training with hourly employees corresponding to work tasks.
- Ensure implementation of project fair accountability procedures.
- Complete “Weekly Project Safety Synopsis” and distribute to VP of Safety Operations and OM.
- Assist in claims management process.
- Perform additional duties agreed upon by VP of Safety Operations and project team provided additional duties do not interfere or inhibit performance of required duties.
- Participate in preconstruction safety meetings to analyze and effectively prepare for risk issues.
- Participate in trade partner safe-start meetings prior to their mobilization on site.
- Participate in and/or conduct site wide safety meeting each week.
- Quarterly, complete the Project Leading Indicator Assessment and distribute results to the project team, OM and VP of Safety Operations.
- Review trade partner safety submittals to ensure compliance with regulation and scope of work.
- Audit the “pre-task planning” process for accuracy and depth.
- Conduct regular (daily) jobsite and work area assessments for at risk behaviors, unsafe conditions, public protection, ICRA/ILSM and additional project risk. Ensure corrective actions are communicated, understood, implemented and documented.
- As warranted, initiate meeting to address endemic items of non-compliance trade partner(graduated levels of participation; project team; OM; corporate safety director; etc.).
- Assist in assessment of all project incidents (WC/GL/Near Hits) and ensure proper records are completed and submitted (Root Cause Analysis). Assist in implementation of corrective actions. Leadership Development
- Provide jobsite leadership and direction relating to all areas of safety and risk.
- Assist in development and implementation of the project safety management system.
- Act as a mentor, coach, trainer, and subject matter expert to support assigned project teams.
- Conduct or participate in and document safety onboarding for all project employees.
- Conduct/facilitate safety training to promote project safety awareness.
- Actively participate in R&M learning & development opportunities.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TEAM: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job)
- Preferably, a bachelor’s degree or higher in in safety management or equivalent comparable certification in safety & health (ex. CHST, ASP, CSP).
- Field experience above minimum below may be considered for substitution of education.
- A recent 10 years of work history that includes at least 5 years that have been dedicated solely to building construction safety preferable with a commercial GC/CM.
- Practical knowledge, working experience, and documented continuing education in areas such as fall protection, scaffolding, excavations, confined spaces, crane/equipment operations, electrical, incident analysis, human performance principles, OSHA 510 certification, and other such safety/health related training. An OSHA 10/30 Construction Outreach or OSHA 510 certification will not be acceptable proof for this training requirement. For each area of education identified above, the candidate shall possess a certificate of completion from an accredited training agency dated within four years (ex OSHA Training Institute courses).
- Evidenced specialized training for Emergency First Aid, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) & Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) current to within 2 years.
- Good written and oral communications.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret contract documents, safety standards, construction drawings, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients, trade partners, and/or employees of the organization.
- Advanced analytical and reading skills.
- Preferably, bi-Lingual (English/Spanish).
- Ability to effectively train employees and project management teams.
- Ability to establish professional, trusting and meaningful relationships with Clients, Designers, and staff.
- Ability to work effectively with trade partners/vendors and authorities having jurisdiction.
- Ability to evaluate complex technical material & develop clear & easily understandable guidelines.
- Excellent computer skills in all Microsoft Office Programs.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, & volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to use basic reasoning and to resolve issues quickly with little or no direction from a superior.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Good negotiating skills, ability to make good judgments and render good decisions.
- OSHA 500 a plus; OSHA 510 Required. CHST, ASP, CSP a plus.
- Knowledge of all facets of ground up Construction/New Renovation and safety related issues surrounding commercial construction.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints.
- Ability to coordinate many different activities. Knowledge of industry safety procedures.
- Ability to read, understand project schedules to develop pre-planning opportunities.
- In depth knowledge of Federal, State and Local regulations covering construction project safety.
- Ability to identify job risks, to analyze complex situations and develop cost effective safety solutions.
- Ability to frequently stand; walk; use hands to handle/feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms, to occasionally climb or balance and stoop or kneel.
- Ability to occasionally lift/move up to 50lbs.
- Distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to withstand all elements & potential hazards of an active construction site (mobile equipment, fall exposures, uneven ground, overhead hazards, heat, cold & elevated noise, inclement weather, etc.).
- Ability to work in a noise level that is usually moderate to high.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- This position is an EXEMPT position and is not subject to overtime pay.
- This position is assigned to jobsite locations & travel/relocation is required.
- This position is part of the Operations Department & reports directly to VP of Safety Operations and supports Project Manager-in-Charge and Operations Manager.
WHY ROBINS & MORTON:
- Ranked 3rd among top general contractors by Modern Healthcare 2018
- Associated Builders and Contractors 2018 National Excellence in Construction Eagle Award winner
- Ranked 79th by Engineering News-Record 2018 publication of top 400 contractors
- Awarded 2017 Project of the Year in Sychro Software’s Annual Digital Construction Awards
- 100+ various learning & development courses offered annually at 15+ different locations
- Time off when you need it
- Employee events & outings
- Community involvement
- Competitive salary
- Excellent health, dental, life insurance, telemedicine
- Excellent 401K & Profit Sharing Program (8.08% Base Salary deposited in eligible employee accounts for 2017)
- Employee Assistance Program