This position is responsible for the design, architecture, and support of the VMware Windows Server environment of RoadRunner Transportation Systems. The Systems Engineer performs all tasks associated with supporting the VMware Windows Server OS including standardization, software distribution, break/fix troubleshooting, patching, and inventory in the Enterprise.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain OS standards
- Automate server build and deployment processes
- Develop patching standards
- Tier 3 Windows Server OS support (Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016)
- Work with Microsoft and other vendors for issue escalation
- Maintain inventory of servers both in datacenter and the field
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Operate as a subject matter expert and act as the escalation point for issue resolution and customer escalations.
- Develop server monitoring standards
- Provide on call assistance and support of production business systems on a rotating basis for after-hours support
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Job Specifications - MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
(A) EDUCATION LEVEL/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Bachelor's degree in discipline appropriate to assignment or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Related certifications will be helpful. The candidate must have 5+ years of experience supporting an enterprise environment.
(B) KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- At least 5 years of experience supporting Windows in a large organization
- At least 2 years of experience supporting an Azure cloud environment
- At least 2 years of experience supporting Office 365
- At least 5 years of experience supporting and troubleshooting VMware
- Experience with Active Directory infrastructure
- Knowledge of scripting (PowerShell, VBScript)
(C) KNOWLEDGE AS A PLUS
- Experience with Cisco UCS hardware
- Experience with Citrix
- Experience with NAS storage - Pure
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and travel is <10%. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a virtual environment. Employee must be able to work independently to complete his or her tasks in a timely manner. Minor lifting is involved, such as moving desktops, servers, or network equipment.