Purpose: The Service Center Manager plans, directs and controls service center operations in support of the company’s profit and service goals.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Coordinates service center activities by assigning responsibilities, supervising, and evaluating service center personnel in pickup and delivery, OS&D, dock operations, inbound and outbound line haul operations and service center office operations to ensure profitability and positive employee and customer relations.
- Responsible for service center revenue generation based on goals established by the company.
- Projects future business levels and operational needs to support them.
- Develops and communicates department performance measurements.
- Works with department personnel in setting department and service center goals.
- Approves customer pricing programs and outbound trips.
- Investigates OS&D claims.
- Monitors TOC’s, all revenue components, labor expenses and manifests.
- Responds to inquiries from government officials.
- Communicates human resource information such as health insurance and 401(k) benefits.
- Audits supply expenses weekly and provide building maintenance.
- Responds to and resolves issues beyond the scope of supervisory staff and maintains on call status.
- Participates in joint sales calls with Account Managers.
- Assists in creating contracts with customers, contractors and partners.
- Directs the hiring, development, supervision and appraisal of all service center personnel.
- Reviews and approves all local and owner operator settlements.
- Recruits independent contractors and leases equipment.
- Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Provides leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
· Performs work of various supervisory/managerial staff positions in their absence.
- Authorizes purchase of supplies.
- Attends meetings outside regular work hours.
Receives general guidance and communication associated with the position; operates with operations and within company policies and procedures using independent judgment to achieve goals and objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience Skills: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university and one to two years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Communicates internally with corporate office staff, and externally with other service centers, sales force, agents, customers, vendors and service providers.
- Technical Experience: Specific industry or position skills.
Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
Preferred knowledge of AS/400 and Microsoft Office.
- Managerial Experience: Experience directing, supervising and managing the selection, training, development and appraisal of personnel.
- Office Skills: Average typing, filing and ten key skills.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts, such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Specific Skills:
- Haz Mat Certified.
- Forklift driver qualification.
- Involves a high degree of responsibility for working with, safeguarding and controlling highly restricted information, knowledge or important confidences and criterion related to research and development of customer data, future plans, policies, business prospects, finances, etc. the release of which could have a detrimental effect and impact on the company’s affairs or undermine its competitive position.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Prioritize, organize and delegate assignments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands:
o Heavy physical activity performing strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
o While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach/handle items, work with fingers, utilize close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguished colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus), and talk and hear others in conversations via the phone or in person. The employee is occasionally asks to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb or balance and lift objects up to 100 lb.
- Work Environment:
o The noise level is moderate based on general conversation tones, ringing phones and laser printer operation.
o Works in well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/shop environment with adequate ventilation.
o Minimal overnight travel (10%) by land and/or air required.
o Might be required to occasionally work in high, precarious places.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the position and are not intended to be all inclusive. The position and any of the requirements listed above are subject to change at any time according to the changing needs of the company.