Purpose: The Regional Safety/Risk Manager is responsible for implementation of effective practices, policies and procedures that support all operating divisions for Roadrunner Transportation Systems, regarding Safety and Risk Management principles as developed by the Company. The responsibilities will be in the areas of employee safety, the health and welfare of the general public, and compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Assist in Managing risk and regulatory compliance to reduce financial and legal liability for the company at the local and field level.
- To protect all operating companies’ satisfactory safety rating according to government regulations.
- Communicate and train personnel on policies that ensure legal compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Assist local and field operations staff in ensuring their Independent Contractors maintain proper compliance and are fully certified at all times.
- Work with all operating company managers and directors to implement consistent policies through education and monitoring as directed.
- Ensure effective training is being performed and recommend updates where necessary.
- Ensures all operations within the region assigned are in full compliance.
- Implements local and field training for all polices processes and safety matters as assigned.
- Assist in auto and worker’s comp insurance claims management.
- Responsible for educating independent contractors’ on various legal issues.
- Responsible for worker’s compensation prevention, Crash and claims prevention, claims administration and claims reviews as directed.
- Administer and assist in education of field operations staff and Independent Contractors, regarding safety & security policy and procedures.
- Participation in meetings outside regular schedule will be required.
- Provides training, information and guidance of corporate polices, and processes as well as feedback on safety and Risk performance to divisions, operating entities and IC’s.
- Familiar wit OSHA and Vigilo websites.
Receives general as well as detailed guidance with respect to overall objectives; work is usually independent of others; operates within corporate and department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives at the close direction of Safety Management.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience Skills: Four years’ experience and/or training in the area’s of government regulations, haz mat, finance and safety; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret the moderately complex document.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write and give persuasive speeches on controversial or complex topics to top management, employees, public groups and/or boards of directors.
o Communicates internally with the corporate office, and externally with field offices, insurance companies, government officials, attorneys, law enforcement agencies, consultants and customers.
- Technical Experience: Specific industry or position skills.
o Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, manipulating databases and spreadsheets, word processing, graphics, Power Point, etc.
o Preferred knowledge: industry based software, worker’s compensation software and Microsoft Windows.
- Managerial Experience: Experience supervising, managing or directing people and their selection, training, development, appraisal and work assignments.
- Office Skills: Typing, filing and moderate skill with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Specific Skills:
o Involves a high degree of responsibility for working with, safeguarding and controlling highly restricted information, knowledge or important confidences.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
o Prioritize, organize and delegate assignments.
o Prioritize tasks.
o Handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands:
o Heavy physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
o While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach/handle items, work with fingers, distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and talk and hear others in conversations via the phone or in person. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and lift objects up to 20 lb.
- Work Environment:
o The noise level is moderate based on general conversation tones, ringing phones and laser printer operation.
o Works in well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
o Occasional work near moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals.
o Overnight travel (70%) by land and/or air required.