Part-Time, 1st Shift Including Weekends
Purpose: The Freight Handler loads, unloads and transports freight within or near terminal, yard or work site.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Reads work order or follows oral instructions to determine materials or containers to be moved.
- Loads and unloads freight and counts onto or from pallets, trays, racks and shelves.
- Loads freight into vehicles and installs blocking, bracing or padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Transports freight from storage dock area or trailers to designated area.
- Secures lifting attachments to freight and conveys load to move load to destination.
- Attaches identifying tags or labels to freight or marks information on cases, bales, pallets and other shipping packages.
- Stacks or assembles freight into bundles and bands bundles together on pallets.
- Cleans work area, machines and equipment to assist machine operators.
- Operates industrial truck or electric hoist to assist in loading or moving material and products.
- Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education /Experience Skills: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and or training; or equivalent combination of educational experience.
- Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine correspondence.
- Communicates internally with operations and dock supervisor.
- Technical Experience: Specific industry or position skills: None.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units or measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Specific Skills:
- Forklift driver qualification.
- Hazardous Material Training.
- Reasoning Ability: Must be able to display good judgment in solving problems and dealing with a variety of personalities where only limited structure exists.
- Prioritize tasks.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and smell. The employee must regularly lift and or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 80 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities include color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving vehicles, outside weather conditions and vibrations. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high precarious places and extreme temperatures. The noise level in the work area is usually moderate to high.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the position and are not intended to be all inclusive. The position and any of the requirements listed above are subject to change at any time according to the changing needs of the company.