Purpose: The Operations Assistant provides administrative support and backup coverage for Operations, Dispatch and Office duties.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provides administrative support
- Computer data entry
- Manifest and prepare documents as required
- Inbound and Outgoing phone calls
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures
- Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience Skills: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three years or equivalent combination of education and experience
Language Skills: Relies on written and verbal communication.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Communicates internally with terminal and corporate office staff, and externally with shippers, contractors and customers.
- Basic personal computer skills.
- Preferred knowledge of AS/400 and Microsoft Office
Office Skills: Typing, filing and ten key skills.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach/handle items, work with fingers, have color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors) and talk and hear others in conversations via the phone or in person. The employee is occasionally asked to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb or balance and lift objects up to 25 lbs.
- The noise level is loud based on multiple printers and forklifts running outside of the door.
- Works in well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Might be required to occasionally work near toxic or caustic chemicals, moving mechanical parts and/or fumes or airborne particles.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the position and are not intended to be all inclusive. The position and any of the requirements listed above are subject to change at any time according to the changing needs of the company.