Title: Specialist, Services Writer (SPI)
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Program Services Writer Senior Manager
Location: Boston, MA
It takes talent to be the world's best not-for-profit educational organization for adults. When it comes to creating educational travel adventures that enrich the lives and fulfill the dreams of adults, there's no organization better than Road Scholar. What's our secret? Dedicated and talented staff who believe in our mission.
About the role…
Road Scholar publishes concise program descriptions in our catalogs and on our website. Each program also has its own “SPI” – Specific Program Information – that provides extensive detail about the program’s operation from beginning to end with particular emphasis on the daily schedule. The information in SPIs is published in preparatory materials sent to participants following enrollment. SPIs have several important purposes:
- To inform potential participants clearly and coherently about the nature and content of each program;
- To motivate potential participants to enroll by presenting detailed information in appealing ways;
- To help enrolled participants set appropriate expectations by presenting information that is accurate and honest.
The Services Writer will be part of a team, and will be responsible for learning and applying Road Scholar’s philosophy, standards, and guidelines to the job of reviewing, editing, and writing SPIs as assigned by the Senior Manager and supporting the SPI Team as called upon. The Services Writer will interact with staff and personnel in the Boston headquarters office, our regional offices, and external Program Provider organizations to produce SPIs approved by the Senior Manager. These interactions must be professional, collegial, and cooperative while meeting our deadlines.
- Learning and utilizing pertinent Road Scholar systems
- Learning and utilizing a detailed set of standards and guidelines
- Entering approved SPIs into our database system
- Proof-reading (checking/correcting spelling, grammar, syntax, identifying and editing copyrighted content) and making changes as requested by the Director and relevant providers
- Editing SPIs as assigned by the Senior Manager
- Providing regular reports to the Senior Manager on the status of assignments including number of projects and time required to complete work
- Expressing the organization’s voice and conveying organizational messages in a consistent manner;
- Assisting with other projects and duties as determined by the Senior Manager.You need…
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred
- 1-3 years experience in research, writing, editing, and proofreading preferred; previous experience as a writer/editor/proofreader preferred
- Able to learn procedures/processes quickly, follow detailed instructions, focus on multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated, creative thinker with good organizational and problem-solving skills, committed to achieving high quality work results
- Team player with dedication to Road Scholar and its mission
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits…
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 3 weeks PTO
- 50% reimbursement on MBTA commuting costs up to $150 per month
- $1,000 program credit toward one Road Scholar learning adventure per year
- $5,000 tuition reimbursement per year
- Retirement Plan with a company match up to 5%
- Casual dress code – jeans every day!
- And more… Check out our Careers webpage at www.roadscholar.org/about/careersOpens a New Window. for more details.
ROAD SCHOLAR SUPPORTS DIVERSITY IN OUR STAFF, PARTICIPANTS AND PROGRAMS.