When you click the Apply Now button, you will be redirected to the Road Commission's website. The page will require you to create an account or to sign-in for returning applicants in order to complete an application.
This position offers a unique opportunity to learn about several functional areas of the Road Commission for Oakland County, while getting a chance to apply the skills learned in school to the workplace. This position performs a variety of technical and supportive professional engineering tasks using traditional civil engineering methods.
The CE I Development Program consists of three or more assignments where the employee develops a broad range of experiences that enable them to build their engineering knowledge base. The three areas include engineering construction, engineering design, and elective options either in Traffic Safety, Highway Maintenance or Permits.
Among the scope of work is:
- solidifying knowledge of construction standards through inspection of construction projects
- assisting in the design area in the accurate preparation of construction plans, specifications and estimates for various types of road improvements including horizontal and vertical alignments, pavement cross sections, quantity calculation, hydraulic studies, and engineering cost estimates
- attending public informational meetings and public hearings as appropriate and respond to public concerns and questions
- Performing duties in a professional and courteous manner to promote a positive image of the Road Commission for Oakland County.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
- Up to 1 year or successive seasonal (internship) work experience whereby the scope of work utilizes civil engineering principles and methods and is commensurate with the duties as described above.
- Functional working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Familiarity with AutoDesk Civil 3D or similar CAD software preferred.
- A demonstrated willingness and desire to learn new skills.
- Must have the energy, stamina, and availability to work the necessary overtime as required.
- Must demonstrate strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must have the ability to work within a team environment.
- Must be willing to accept feedback and direction as required to build one’s knowledge of engineering and road commission standards.
- Valid MI state driver’s license.