Move, Build, Grow your career!
As the premier global asset management and disposition company, Ritchie Bros. helps thousands of people around the world buy and sell heavy equipment, trucks, and other assets every month. With our multiple onsite and online selling platforms and commitment to first-class customer service, Ritchie Bros. is trusted worldwide for making buying and selling easy, efficient, fair, and transparent. If you’re an innovator with an entrepreneurial spirit, we want you to join our growing team – employed in a wide variety of positions from sales to operations to corporate functions – as we transform the global used equipment market.
Join us on our journey and move forward with us, build your success, and grow your career.
We are looking for Software Developer to join our team in Burnaby, BC.
The Software Developer’s role is to provide research, design, development and testing of software systems. This includes coding, developing, and documenting technical specifications throughout the project life cycle. Once the system has been deployed the Software Developer will maintain the system as appropriate to assignment. The Software Developer will have knowledge of a variety of computer programming languages and applications. The Software Developer will provide support to other projects where required. The Software Developer will be assigned to projects by the Software Development Manager and work on the project under the direction of a Project Manager as a member of an agile team. Within the Software organization the Software Developer will be member of a small home room team to aid in their development.
In this role you’ll:
- Collaborate with architects, programmers and designers in conceptualizing and development of new software programs and applications.
- Liaise with network administrators and business analysts to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
- Analyze and assess existing business systems and procedures.
- Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Assist in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
- Research, identify, analyze, and fulfill requirements of all internal and external program users.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Provide estimates and status Project Manager.
- Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines.
- Train end users to operate new or modified programs.
- Install software products for end users as required.
- Creation and execution of Unit Test Cases.
- Collaboration with the QA team.
- Provide effort / time estimates on development tasks.
- After hours, on-call support is required on a rotational basis.
- Sundry duties as assigned.
Here’s what you bring:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or software engineering or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of software development experience.
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment.
- Familiar with database programming languages, including. PostgreSQL, SQL or PL/SQL.
- Familiar with Couchbase and Kafka.
- Experience with n-tier design patterns.
- Familiarity with Test Driven design.
- Knowledge of current Internet technologies; web application design and integration experience.
- Hands-on software troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with XML, JSON and web services architectures.
- Experience with Git or other similar source control tools.
- Ability to work in a project focused multi-disciplined team.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Customer service skills an asset.
- Highly logical; Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
This job will require you to:
- Occasional ability to work from home.
- Occasional on-call availability.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of off-site software and system applications management, and meetings.
What We Offer:
Our success is built on the drive and dedication of our people. As we grow around the globe, there will be many opportunities to advance your career – we’ve proven this throughout our 60+ years in business. And, we'll take care of you along the way. Here’s how:
- Base salary + paid overtime
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits.
- RRSP and an Employee Share Plan, both with company match.
- Ongoing training, professional development and tuition reimbursement.
- A multi-award winning LEED gold certified facility, in an exceptional park-like setting, featuring:
- A subsidized, multi-award winning childcare centre.
- A subsidized cafeteria, dry cleaning services, and free parking.
- A workout facility, featuring advanced gym equipment, bike room, shower and changing facilities, and nutrition and fitness programs.
- Proximity to miles of Fraser River walking paths, plus shops, restaurants and services.
To get an idea of what our auctions are like, you can check out some auction videos on YouTube right here: http://bit.ly/KKL9Fz.
To learn more about the company? Visit our Career site, LinkedIn Or, connect with our recruiters by visiting our Facebook.
Established in 1958, Ritchie Bros. (NYSE and TSX: RBA) is a global asset management and disposition company, offering customers end-to-end solutions for buying and selling used heavy equipment, trucks and other assets. Operating in a multitude of sectors, including construction, transportation, agriculture, energy, oil and gas, mining, and forestry, the company’s selling channels include: Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, the world’s largest industrial auctioneer offers live auction events with online bidding; IronPlanet,, an online marketplace with featured weekly auctions and providing its exclusive IronClad Assurance® equipment condition certification;Marketplacee, an online marketplace offering multiple price and timing options; Mascus, a leading European online equipment listing service; and Ritchie Bros. Private Treaty, offering privately negotiated sales. The company also offers sector-specific solutions including GovPlanet, TruckPlanet, Kruse Energy Auctioneers, and Cat® auctions, plus equipment financing and leasing through Ritchie Bros. Financial Services. For more information about the unprecedented choice provided by Ritchie Bros, visit RitchieBros.com.
Ritchie Bros. is an equal opportunity employer and ensures nondiscrimination in all activities in accordance with all applicable laws. This position is open to all qualified applicants who are legally entitled to work in the country in which this job is located. Candidate selection is made by Talent Acquisition. Only electronic applications can be accepted. No agency calls please.