Project Engineer – Engineering and Project – 2020 Smelter Shutdown
· Key role in the Projects and Engineering Group, 2020 Smelter Shutdown
· Previous experience in Construction Project Management
· Role based in Magna, UT
· Role duration: 10 months
About the role
P&E Shutdown Project Engineers work closely with and in support of the P&E Shutdown program team and Plant owners team. Shutdowns are schedule and executed at Rio Tinto Kennecott Copper facilities in order to maintain the health of our equipment assets. Work areas will primarily be in some of the following areas:
· Hot Metals (Flash Smelting, Flash Converting & Anodes)
· Waste Heat Boilers
· Electrostatic Precipitators
· Acid Plant
· Material Handling
This role will report to the P&E team Project Team Lead or Principle Engineer and be involved in the planning and delivery of projects from initiation to completion, and is focused on achieving objectives through managing resources, budgets, schedules, changes, and risks. Typical responsibilities and accountabilities for this position:
· Providing direct project management for a variety of projects and technologies that will require you to leverage engineering, business and cross functional team management skills
· Leading, planning and coordinating the study or implementation stages of projects, including the management of all functional areas
· Ability to read and understand complex mechanical, structural and civil engineering plans and specifications.
· Responsible for resourcing, procurement, contract management, and progress reporting
· Accountable for safely and successfully delivering the project and business case by ensuring the results meet technical, quality, cost and schedule requirements as per the lifecycle stages
· Planning and delivering relevant safety requirements into all activities, tasks and projects based on assessed hazards, identified critical risks and mitigating actions
· Ensuring proper project governance and stage gate approvals
· Applying technical/professional knowledge to solve complex problems and recommend solutions and contributing to process improvements
· Managing a group of projects and multiple project members and/or larger and more complex projects to meet objectives
· Providing leadership in managing, shaping, and directing area of responsibility including collaboration and team approaches to enhance project execution
· Administrative supervision of subordinate staff including development and assessment, training, mentoring and coaching, performance management, and compliance with policies and standards
· Regularly interfacing with the project sponsors and senior management at assigned plants – manage steering committees as necessary
· Ensuring appropriate corrective actions are taken where necessary for project quality, safety, cost, schedule, and staff performance
· Supervising contract project staff and contractors to ensure understanding and compliance with Rio Tinto and RTKC standards and to ensure project cost, schedule, quality, and safety objectives are met
- Ensure successful and safe execution of projects through detailed planning and execution of scopes of work in compliance with the following:
- RTKC HSE standards and programs
- RTKC Contractor Management standards
- RTKC Permitting processes
- Construction Contract scope, schedule and cost
- Engineering and Design specifications and quality
- Support the project team in the development and execution of the following:
- RTKC HSE and Contractor Management documentation
- Scope of Work documents
- Project Execution Plan documents
- Quality Assurance/Commissioning Execution Plan documents
- Quality Assurance/Commissioning forms and documentation
- Construction, Pre-commissioning and Commissioning Schedules
What you will need for this role:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or other relevant related technical field
- 8 - 20 years of progressively responsible experience in project management experience in heavy industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience with computer system applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project
Beneficial for this role:
- Experience using AutoCAD.
- Broad understanding of program management, project management, project controls, business improvement, contract management, risk management & change management
- Knowledge of Project based software tools and systems
- Project management certification (PMP) or advance project management training
Where you will be working
Rio Tinto Engineering and Projects Group provides project execution that delivers value to the Rio Tinto Group through the strategic planning and execution of projects for Rio Tinto Kennecott Copper. Playing a fundamental role, value is achieved through uniformed processes, detailed planning, and measurable savings for the Group.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer