Executive Editor, The Long Island Herald
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Long Island Herald is looking for an executive editor to lead its award-winning newsroom. With 24 local weekly editions, the Herald is one of New York's largest and most influential brands in local news. The Herald is family owned since 1964 as a part of Richner Communications, Inc. The Garden City, NY-based company prides itself on delivering trusted hyperlocal news and engaging stories that inform the everyday lives of Long Islanders.
- Set overall strategic direction of Herald newsroom across print and digital platforms
- Oversee newsroom of 20+ editors and reporters
- Plan, schedule and assign stories and beats to editors, reporters, photographers and freelancers
- Coordinate with production team to ensure quality and timely content production
- Establish and enforce newsroom policies, procedures, workflows and deadlines
- Cultivate relationships with key community stakeholders and sources; foster engagement between newsroom staff and local communities
- Train and mentor newsroom team and provide feedback on work products
- Establish newsroom KPIs; analyze digital analytics
- Recruit and retain talent
- Advocate for newsroom needs and resources as member of senior management team
- Identify and champion new technology and tools
- Monitor news sources for relevant story leads
- Write editorials and edit copy when necessary; oversee proofreading procedures
- Set procedures for updating websites and social media pages
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with design, style and tone
Preferred skills and experience:
- 10+ years as a working journalist
- 5+ years in a management role at a news organization
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- Familiarity with Long Island communities
- Experience with online platforms and SEO
- Ability to analyze data and display them in engaging ways
- Experience identifying and developing talent
- Strong attention to detail
- Degree in journalism or relevant field
Is this the perfect job for you? Tell us why, and include a resume, salary objective and references. Send to Stuart Richner at email@example.com
Richner CommunicationsWhy Work Here?
Great opportunity to join a multi-media company.
Established Publishing, printing and events business.
AddressGarden City, NY
Arts and Entertainment