- Install steel bars that will be filled with concrete to stabilize the structure.
- Use wire to tie the steel bars together, following the building’s blueprints.
- Using long, hooked poles, they move the bars or mesh into place in the wet cement so that the concrete is evenly supported.
- Cut, bend or weld steel and other materials so they fit the project.
- Cables are placed in wet cement with the ends exposed, and ironworkers tighten them with special tools before the concrete completely sets.
- Mount stairs, handrails and other metal fixtures after the building is completed.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Taken high school classes in welding, math and mechanical drawing have a solid foundation for ironwork training.
- Knowledge of basic math; blueprint reading; and the basics of structural erecting, reinforcing and welding.