The Buyer serves as a primary point of contact at Revolution Foods for sourcing, purchasing, on-time deliveries and is a subject matter expert on goods purchased. The buyer sources the full scope of raw materials, fresh food commodities, ingredients, packaging, film, etc. used in the production of healthy meal solutions. They also maintain strong supplier relations and a competitive pricing edge to leverage spend and is accountable for delivery of services, quality products, cost containment and communicating effectively at all levels.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with planning and production scheduling to ensure that raw ingredients, fresh food, packaging and the components that go into the processing of our products are here on time, at the lowest cost while meeting the high-quality standards expected.
- Actively manages the planning, scheduling, and basic logistics associated with buying fresh foods, raw materials, ingredients, fruits and vegetables, and dairy products for a production environment.
- Responsible to utilize administrative and business procedures or functions that support the Planning & Purchasing department related functions.
- Responsible for maintaining an awareness of commodity price and availability risk, alerting management and developing sourcing strategies to reduce-moderate such risk.
- Builds and maintains excellent customer relations, acting proactively to resolve potential issues and adapting to ever-changing business environments.
- Monitors supplier improvement plans for serviced accounts. Reinforces quality and on-time delivery standard expectations within agreed price points. Reports shortages, bad or damaged product, and pursues credits.
- Provide information to Marketing, R&D, and Product Supply relative to changes in lead times for color separations/engravings and packaging to ensure optimal availability and service.
- Works in collaboration with the operating management team to ensure a best in class
- Communicate with R&D product development team to determine ingredient needs for both new and existing items. Be able to collaborate with suppliers to request ingredients that fit specific needs of each project.
- Play integral role on inventory count team, ensuring ERP inventory counts are consistently accurate. Double check MRP numbers and run apple core or other reports.
- May collaborate with QA and Production to document issues, plan supplier visits/ inspections, and gain approval for use. Work with QA team to ensure suppliers provide all required documentation to meet SQF and other agency regulated guidelines.
- Release and create Purchase Orders as needed. Forward to designated personnel-both internal and external. Is responsible for the accuracy of the cost on the PO's before they are received into Company ERP system.
- Notify AR, AP, and any other necessary departments of any price changes on item purchases that may impact the costing model and sales. Proactively identifies seasonal and environmental fluctuations in costs when forecasting.
- Schedule pickups/will-call orders with certain vendors and communicate to shipping/receiving department.
- Understands and monitors KPI's, department targets, and the root cause of poor performance. Implement corrective actions to drive results. Responsible to make the right decisions, quickly to achieve plans for the Company in coordination with the team and cross-functional partners.
- Follow all health and safety standards, GMP's, food safety, FIFO, visual quality and PPE requirements.
- Supports our green waste recycling program, ensuring waste products are properly accounted for.
- May complete a variety of reports, routine office tasks that may include inventory, verifying shipments and receiving documents, typing, preparing reports, completing research, track information and KPI's, prepare or update excel spread sheets, copying, scanning, etc. Performs other duties as needed.
Required Experience and Education:
- 4-5 years of purchasing experience in a continuous improvement environment, preferably in commodity food, ingredients, raw materials, dairy, fresh.
- 3+ years of experience negotiating contract terms and conditions, and managing on-time deliveries
- Experience purchasing and working with a variety of packaging, trays, containers, film applications, printing, etc.
- Related Degree in Supply Chain, Culinary Arts, or Business is preferred or equivalent work experience that demonstrates a depth of experience, control and compliance knowledge in a food environment.
- Financial Acumen and ability to work within budget constraints.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, especially a firm understanding of Excel and ERP systems
- Experience in lean and other continuous improvement initiatives.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.
For more information, please click on the following links:
E-Verify Participation Poster: English / Spanish
E-Verify Right to Work Poster: English | Spanish