Full-time position for compassionate and hard-working individual. The ophthalmic assistant works under the direction of an ophthalmologist and gathers the patient’s medical history, measures visual acuity and performs a wide variety of tests needed to prepare each patient for their exam with the doctor. This individual may also scribe for the doctor during exams and assist with minor procedures. Previous certification preferred, but not required. Will train the right person on the job. Assignments are recurring and typically repetitive tasks with some variety and some intricacy. Clinic policies and procedures are well-established and followed.
- Interview patients and document ocular and medical histories into Electronic Health Record.
- Perform a variety of routine tests using ophthalmic instruments that provide diagnostic information including but not limited to intraocular pressure, basic motility, visual fields, fundus photography OCT, and fluorescein angiography.
- Administer topical medications or diagnostic drugs as directed by physician.
- Prepare procedure and exam rooms.
- Perform basic triage.
- Work as a team player.
- Adhere to all clinic policies and procedures including but not limited to standards for safety, attendance, punctuality and personal appearance.
- Communicate clearly with patients.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED
- One year experience in a medical office.
- Excellent spelling ability.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Strong professional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate respect for staff and patients.
- Strong understanding of Electronic Health Records.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Management of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong organization with attention to detail.
- Computer literacy.
- Acquaints all new patients with office procedures to which they will be exposed.
- Informs patients of the purpose of all tests personally performed and how the patient will be affected during the tests.
- Obtains patient history to include chief complaint, history of present illness, past medical history (ocular and general), family history (ocular and general), and history of allergies and medications.
- Performs accurate and consistent documentation and measurement tasks to include:
- Visual acuity
- Confrontational visual fields
- Evaluation of motility
- Pupillary function tests
- Color plates
- Dilation of pupils
- Visual field testing
- Diagnostic testing
- Travel between two offices is required.
About Retina Specialty Institute
Retina Specialty Institute is a group of 5 private practice retina specialists operating throughout Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. As health care professionals and active clinical researchers, our doctors provide our patients access to the newest and best retina treatments available.
Retina Specialty Institute
Why Work Here?Retina Specialty Institute is a group of 5 private practice retina specialists operating throughout Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. As health care professionals and active clinical researchers, our doctors provide our patients access to the newest and best retina treatments available.
RSI: At the Forefront of Quality, Compassionate and Innovative Eye Care