LC R&D - Scientist II
- Posted: over a month ago
Restek is looking for a Chemist for our LC Solutions Department to lead the research and development of innovative LC stationary phase chemistries and separation media. The Chemist is an important part of the LC R&D group that develops and introduces new products and/or materials in support of Restek’s growth goals and strategic plan.
- Generate ideas of new phase chemistries and particle platforms such as silica and polymer particles for liquid chromatography (LC) separation.
- Design and synthesize silane and polymer-based LC ligands and particle-based separation media.
- Characterize the impurities of the raw reagents and synthesized LC ligands and material.
- Purify the raw reagents and synthesized ligand as needed.
- Design process for the surface modification of silica or polymer support with the LC ligands. Conduct surface modification according to the process.
- Perform the testing of HPLC columns and related products.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary scientists to optimize materials and deliver new commercial products.
- Partner with and support other departments such as Marketing, Project management, Manufacturing, and Sales, as needed.
- Train other chemists in the group as needed.
- Document all experiments and/or procedures and review documentation for accuracy and completeness. Write experience reports detailing experimental design, results and conclusions, and circulate with the appropriate departments. Communicate progress on projects through monthly reports and at staff meetings.
- Write articles for publication and patents and other technical marketing material aligned with planned campaigns.
- Presentation of technical information for internal meetings and external conferences.
- Keep current with the LC phase chemistries and organic chemistry applicable to the field through literature review, seminars, workshops, and continuing education.
- Practice safe working procedures and follow guidelines specified by the Environmental Health and Safety Department, especially when working in the production and laboratory areas.
- Bachelor with 5 years or MS with 2 years of experience and demonstrating strong skills in organic synthesis or material chemistry will be considered. Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or other related science with at least two years of hands-on experience on organic synthesis and material chemistry especially particle synthesis is preferred.
- Previous experience with silane and silicon chemistry, surface bonding of silica, polymer synthesis and particle synthesis is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Deep knowledge and strong skills in organic synthesis and material chemistry, especially silane and silicon chemistry, surface bonding, polymer chemistry, and silica and polymer particles.
- Understanding and application of chromatography theory/principles.
- Strong collaboration skills, highly motivated, and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Good troubleshooting skills with ability to assist in complex problem solving.
- Ability to organize, prepare and present oral and written communications for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of chemical safety, composition, structure, properties, and mechanism.
- Travel of up to 10% time is required.
- Team player.
Perhaps most important, the ideal candidate for Scientist ll must be a good fit with Restek. As a 100% employee-owned company, Restek's people-centric and empowered culture is a unique strength in our industry. We hold firm to our Core Values and Philosophy as we continue to prove ourselves to be our customers' first and best choice for chromatography. Learn more at www.restek.com/philosophy.
Restek provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Restek complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. As an employer with an Affirmative Action Program, Restek complies with government regulations, including Affirmative Action responsibilities, where they apply. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
ScienceView all jobs at Restek Corporation