Communications & Marketing Director
- Expired: April 20, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and example marketing plan.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to pulling American democracy back from the brink and restoring its place as a beacon for global freedom. Led by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov, Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey, and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to combating the threats of radicalism. With autocratic movements growing in strength around the globe, we must make a stand in defense of liberal democracy in the US. American leadership is paramount to guiding the free world through its current political, economic, and health crises.
The Communications & Marketing Director will work with the Executive Director and will lead RDI's communications strategy with a focus on uniting our many projects & leaders into a clear, single brand under the RDI banner. This will have a number of components, including:
- You would be responsible for development and oversight of new and existing channels for disseminating RDI content, with a goal of growing our subscriber base. This will involve thinking creatively about the ideal target audiences and how best to reach them.
- Developing an effective digital strategy to manage and grow RDI's online presence, including email marketing and social media management.
- Maximizing earned media for RDI leadership, placing written/video content in appropriate outlets, and driving news coverage.
In order to achieve these goals, you would manage one or more external firms with more specific experience in one or more of the above approaches.
We're looking for someone who can quickly and seamlessly move from ideation to execution and drive RDI's presence across traditional & new media. The right person will leverage the reputations and megaphones of our board members as well as creative digital strategies to drive growth.
- Offering creative approaches to driving media narratives that allow RDI to stand out in the marketplace;
- Working with other members of the team from designers to writers to maintain brand voice and brand integrity across all platforms and ensuring all copy is in line with the communications strategy;
- Assisting in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content - bonus points for having skills in digital content creation;
- Tracking views, engagement, and conversation rate across various platforms in order to make data-driven decisions to maximize impact;
- Helping to conceptualize & manage RDI events;
- Creating and managing a budget for external vendors and overseeing those relationships and costs.
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Possesses creative ideas for building an online video-driven platform that can gain wide attention and exposure while maximizing engagement with subscribers;
- Strong proficiency in managing both traditional media and developing innovative communications strategies for digital and social media;
- Understanding of copywriting, graphic design, and layout
- Experience managing budgets & external vendors
- Working knowledge of content management systems, in particular WordPress and Substack adept with social media platform management and digital marketing tools/analytics
- Experience with search engine marketing, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro);
- A self-starter who is highly capable of managing oneself and others.
Education and Experience Requirements
- 6-8 or more years of communications, marketing, PR, or related experience;
- Established media relations (with a rolodex of contacts in prominent media outlets) would be considered a significant plus
Logistics & Benefits
- We offer a competitive salary, generous benefits, flexible hours, paid time off, and unique opportunities for ongoing professional development
- Ability to work remotely but NYC or DC preferred
- U.S. work authorization required
Renew Democracy Initiative
BusinessView all jobs at Renew Democracy Initiative