Director, IT Systems
The Server Engineer plans and manages the installation, configuration and tuning of storage hardware and software including DR appliances, according to best practices, while ensuring high levels of data quality and availability for all enterprise and company's customers in a 24x7 Enterprise Storage Systems environment including, but not limited to, NetApp, IBM, HP, and Cloud-based SAN storage devices. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
Duties and responsibilities
- This individual will assist with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of solutions for various project and operational needs in a VMWare virtualization environment.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure virtual machines, hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with industry and vendor supported standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure hardware, software and networking using Cisco, NetApp, and VMware architectures
- Maintain current knowledge of storage-related trends and issues including current emerging technologies and best practices
- Contribute to and maintain capacity planning, performance analysis, develop disaster recovery plans, lead efforts towards storage consolidation and identify storage growth, manage configurations of storage media and storage management software.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, and off-site backups (such as Disaster Recovery) are successfully created.
- Provide support per request from various entities.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted entities
- Organize, schedule, communicate, and perform annual Disaster Recovery testing
- Apply system patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot Microsoft enterprise services such as SQL, SharePoint, Systems Center, Active Directory, and Windows Server 2008 and 2012
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot data replication, snap shots and virtualization technology.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning and provide future projected growth estimates.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Bachelor degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science and/or 5+ years of experience with planning, designing, configuring and supporting large enterprise environments.
- Systems Administration/System Engineer/SAN certification Required (Unix, Cisco (Nexus), NetApp, VMWare and/or Microsoft preferred)
- 5+ years of system administration experience performing capacity planning, performance analysis and development of data disaster recovery plans.
- Must pass drug screen and other pre-employment screenings
No preferred qualifications
- Exceptional communication, writing, meeting facilitation, and analytical skills
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
- Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently, as well as, work well in groups.
- The ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities.
- Able to communicate clearly with peers as well as management
This position primarily works in an office environment, sitting at a desk, working on a computer.
Never (N) 0%
Occasionally (O) 1-33%
Frequently (F) 34-66%
Continuously (C) 67-100%