The Industrial Project Designer/Manager at Refractory Service, Inc. has overall responsibility for the design, engineering, estimating, and management of assigned projects. This person ensures projects are effectively executed to budgeted cost and time schedules. Individual’s work shall be in accordance with the established company and client quality standards and delivery expectations. He/she is the technical support contact for our customer and is responsible for maximizing customer satisfaction with installed refractory systems.
The ideal candidate will be highly self-motivated, be able to multi-task and focus on many projects at once, have an interest and aptitude for hands-on work, and possess solid communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Work with sales team and customer to help define customer’s refractory requirements, specifications, and goals.
- Work with sales team to carry out an in-depth analysis of customer provided information to determine material requirements, delivery, installation methods, manpower requirements, time frames, equipment needs, and all required mobilizations. Recommend design modifications to improve quality and productivity, while reducing costs.
- Act as a technical resource and support to customer, field personnel, and sales team including attending customer and job start up meetings.
- Estimate project costs, provide drawings and documentation, and assist sales team as required, to help them produce complete, reliable quotes, in order to procure customer purchase orders. Ensure conformance to industry, customer, and company standards for quality, manufacturability, and installation.
- Identify and research potential Sub-Contractors for work outside our refractory scope. Provide the necessary drawings, specifications, and documentation to obtain multiple, reliable bids.
- Review customers purchase orders, contracts, specifications, documentation, and drawings, as required to insure quote covers customer’s expectation.
- Provide material list and work with Distribution Manager on material procurement for jobs. Provide Field Job instructions and work with Field Operations Manager to coordinate project schedule. Provide Shop Job instructions and work with Shop Operations Manager to coordinate project schedule.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to address and resolve installation, design and quality problems, and ensure the continuous, on-going improvement of processes and methods.
- Develop working relationships with shop and field personnel to address and resolve problems and to develop better cooperation for working together toward producing the highest quality solutions.
- Evaluate Sub-Contractor bids and make decision based on what’s best for our company. Provide Sub-Contractor with Purchase Orders/Contracts, along with all information, drawings, and documentation as necessary to complete job within budget.
- Proactively communicate assigned project schedules, change proposals (as applicable) and related activities on a regular basis with our sales team, so that they may update customer, with the goal of improving customer satisfaction.
- Provide on-site assistance with the pre-job inspections, installation, turnover processes and post-project work.
- Prepare and/or review formal Technical Manuals, containing drawings, schematics, product and safety data, and other documentation/literature, as necessary, to support each contract.
- Help generate progress and final invoices to client.
- Keep updated on new products and installation methods to provide our customers with “Best Practice” refractory installations.
- Comply with all quality and safety regulations and follow all housekeeping procedures.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
Job Skill Requirements
- Has exceptional customer focus and ability to work under pressure; ability to maintain awareness of, and seek to meet the needs and wants of the customer without being prompted
- Knowledgeable of engineering principles and practices particularly in relation to the refractory industry
- Proven ability to troubleshoot problems and look for solutions
- Must be a self-starter and work well without supervision
- Solid mechanical and electrical aptitude including the ability to work with a variety of hand and power tools
- Frequent visits to job sites are required. Minimal overnight travel is required. Valid driver’s license required
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
Bachelor’s degree in building construction, industrial technologies, construction management, engineering, or a related field are required.
Ten years plus of refractory or related industry engineering and/or project management experience.
Certifications & Licenses
Having a valid driver’s license is required. OSHA 30 Construction, MSHA 46.8, and confined space certifications are preferred, but not required.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical specifications, professional journals, and blueprints. Ability to write reports and documentation. Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, clients and other employees of the organization.
Protective Clothing Required
The position will require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) use such as safety glasses, hard hat, ear plugs, dust masks, steel-toed shoes or work boots, as required on job site.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk or hear; uses hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. On occasion, the colleague may be required to climb and work in high places, stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. Position may also require work in confined spaces and exposure to different types of outdoor weather conditions. Risk of electrical shock and/or general hazards found in a construction environment are present.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Participation in quarterly bonus program
- Medical insurance
- Company paid life insurance and long term disability insurance
- Voluntary benefits: dental, short term disability, permanent life insurance, term life insurance, critical illness insurance, accident insurance
- 401k participation
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the job and the general nature and level of work to be performed. This description is not to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. COST of Wisconsin Inc. is an equal employment opportunity workplace.