Red Mile team members are driven by their desire to create outstanding experiences for both our patrons and fellow employees. We pride ourselves on being a part of an organization whose focus is to bring world-class entertainment to those living in and visiting the “Horse Racing Capital of the World.” If you aspire to create memorable experiences, we invite you to explore our exciting and dynamic career opportunities.
The Sous Chef is the Executive Chef’s right- hand person, making sure all menu items are executed with excellence 100% of the time. If there are occasions when the Executive Chef is unable to work, the Sous Chef assumes all duties normally designated to the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef will assist the Executive Chef by contributing to building top line sales and guest counts through the delivery of our team members and guest experience. The Sous Chef position was designed to help lead the team of culinary professionals to deliver high qualify, great tasting food, proper food safety procedures and profitability. The Sous Chef must be a problem solver, ready to come up with on the spot solutions for problems that may occur in the kitchen. The Sous Chef is often in charge of training new employees, as well.
- Utilizes a "hands on" approach in the kitchen and leads by example to promote teamwork.
- Works with and trains all culinary staff in appropriate cooking techniques as necessary to ensure consistency of quality, style, and presentation
- Conducts routine inspections of all workstations to ensure that health and safety standards and food products are properly stored and rotated.
- Regularly inspects culinary product at all F&B outlets to ensure adherence to presentation, quality and style standards and directs efforts to refine same as necessary.
- Oversees day to day operations of the kitchen functions, ensuring effective product results.
- Adheres to regulatory, departmental and company policies and procedures.
Education and/or Experience (include certs or licenses needed):
- Five (5) or more years Culinary Experience in the hospitality industry.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Degree from an accredited college or university in Culinary Arts preferred; or an Associate Degree and equivalent
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Food handlers permit as required by state law and/or Company standards.
- Basic Computer skills – Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Three plus years of culinary management experience in a high- volume atmosphere
- A true passion for the development and mentoring of others
- Must be proficient in achieving financial results
- Honesty, integrity and a love for customer satisfaction are all qualities that the Sous Chef should possess
- The Sous Chef should always be able to provide consistent support to the success of the operation
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 lbs., while performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, knee, crouch or crawl, talk and hear.