Waste Prevention and Recycling Manager III
Annual Salary Range: $110,925.70- $137,445.54
The Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority, doing business as RecycleSmart, is dedicated to developing and delivering high quality, cost effective solid waste reduction, recycling, and refuse programs that provide and promote sustainability in our communities.
We have an immediate opportunity for a customer service-oriented waste management manager to join our dynamic team. This position is based in our Walnut Creek, CA location.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Waste Prevention and Recycling Manager III develops, plans and manages programs designed to reduce and divert solid waste from landfills, and reduce, recycle and properly dispose of household hazardous waste; coordinates program activities with the general public, businesses and agencies; ensures effective community outreach programs; serves as a highly technical resource for solid waste and recycling issues internally and externally, including franchised collectors and commercial recyclers; works with CalRecycle regarding waste collection and diversion goals; regularly uses discretion and judgment to assess program options; provides highly complex technical support to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and oversees CCCSWA solid waste reduction and prevention programs; evaluates options for expansion of current programs, new programs, policies, systems and procedures for waste prevention, recycling, composting, solid waste, and household hazardous waste programs based upon best practices and compliance requirements.
- Develops, assesses, and oversees program activities with the public, businesses and external agencies.
- Develops, oversees, and analyzes program budgets; monitors and approves expenditures.
- Conducts solid waste assessments; provides recommendations and trains businesses and institutions to reduce waste.
- Prepares applications for grant and funding opportunities, monitoring compliance with grant funding requirements.
- Advises on proposals, tonnage reports and business ventures.
Research, Contracting, Marketing, Public Relations
- Researches, recommends, prepares and presents technical and administrative staff reports for CCCSWA Board of Directors meetings.
- Creates and delivers informative presentations to the Board, CalRecycle Members and groups such as residents, businesses and civic organizations.
- Develops Requests For Proposals (RFP) for soliciting contractors and consultants.
- Oversees, analyzes and administers contracts and agreements with franchised solid waste and recycling service providers.
- Prepares and delivers annual report required by CalRecycle.
- Develops user-friendly promotional and outreach campaigns and presentations.
- Represents CCCSWA at a variety of external meetings and professional conferences.
This position may have supervisory responsibilities over other personnel and, when assigned, will act as the Executive Director in the Executive Director’s absence.
This position may perform additional duties as required by CCCSWA.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Public Administration, Municipal Planning, or a closely related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in municipal planning and implementing recycling or solid waste management programs, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience.
- Experience in municipal planning, permits and code enforcement strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Public Resources code, other federal, state and local laws, and other regulatory provisions governing or impacting waste reduction and recycling.
- Best practices for solid waste management.
- Principles and practices of program development and administration; budget preparation, analysis and administration; purchasing; RFPs; public record requirements; and contract management, negotiation and administration.
- Marketing and procurement methods for recycled materials.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, email and internet.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work multiple tasks and manage complex projects on time and within budget.
- Ability to deal effectively, professionally, and calmly in difficult situations and establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, co-workers, direct reports and other stakeholders, including external entities.
- Ability to be detailed-oriented, prioritize tasks, and accommodate frequent interruptions.
- Ability to write, research, and develop policies, procedures and training materials and to conduct employee and external entity training programs.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as needed.
Certificates and Licenses
This position requires the possession and maintenance of a valid California Class C driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record throughout employment, or the ability to travel to various locations in a timely and efficient manner by alternative means and on a regular basis throughout employment.
The work of this position is performed in an office environment and in the field.
To apply and be considered for this position, please email your confidential resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone or in person inquiries, please.
This position will be open until filled. The most qualified candidates will be contacted and may be invited to an interview.
The Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, visit our website at https://www.recyclesmart.org/filebrowser/download/4900181