We are seeking a Molecular Microbiologist to join our team! You will be responsible for performing medical tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases.
The ideal candidate possesses a working knowledge of molecular biology with experience in the performance and application of techniques including DNA extraction, conventional and real-time PCR, NGS and other molecular diagnostic techniques, and QC/QA. Experience with in-house molecular diagnostic assays, clinical microbiology, quality control/assurance, and/or troubleshooting is required, as is the ability to follow standard protocols and to independently perform laboratory routine testing in the area of molecular pathology.
- Prepare human biological material for analysis. This may include body fluids, blood, and tissues.
- Collect and organize blood, tissue, and other bodily fluid samples from patients
- Prepare samples for routine testing and analysis
- Properly record results for further analysis and easy reference
- Analyze test results for acceptability against set controls and enter findings into the computer database
- Monitor inventory samples and supplies
- Maintain a clean work environment
- Work under the supervision of a medical technologist
- Maintain daily/weekly logs and QC documents for assays and equipment
- Monitor performance of equipment by implementing QC standard operating procedures
- Help inventory maintenance by monitoring inventory levels of reagents and consumables, providing alerts to lab manager if needed
- Assist in the development of clinical assays and the validation
- May perform receiving, accessioning, and client relations duties as assigned
- Prepare standard operating procedures (SOPs) as instructed for all platforms
- Monitor assay performance through external quality assessments and provide technical support
- Develop and validate molecular diagnostic assays
- Maintain meticulous electronic and paper records of laboratory activities
- Examine new technologies for the clinical diagnosis of pathogenic microbes
- Previous experience as a clinical technician or in other related fields
- Familiarity with common medical terminology
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be able to perform evaluation, validation and verification testing to implement new technology including limitations of testing, reference methods, cross-reactivity, sensitivity, specificity, appropriate test utilization, and interpretation of results
- Must be able to perform highly complex procedures accurately and efficiently according to written protocols. Must be able to work cooperatively as a member of a team and maintain a positive humanistic attitude. Must be able to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Toxicology (or related fields) and at least two years of previous clinical experience.
- No clinical experience is required for advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) with assay development in Molecular Diagnostics.
- Two years recent work experience and technical knowledge of microbial methodologies including PCR and other molecular techniques preferred
- Knowledge of infection control practices and use of laboratory tests to support this area is required